Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:49 PM   #11
HeatDeath

Default Re: Ogre Playmat M2?

Pledged at $28, and I definitely intend to order a second mat at the backerkit stage. Can we please make sure that's doable?
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:58 PM   #12
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatDeath View Post
Pledged at $28, and I definitely intend to order a second mat at the backerkit stage. Can we please make sure that's doable?
Yes. We will offer the option to order more mats during the BackerKit phase of the project.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:41 AM   #13
Leonidas
Banned

Pledged at 28 USD.
Leonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:55 AM   #14
Desert Scribe

They have an image (not final) of M2 on the Kickstarter page. And yes, it appears to be the Iron Mountain map.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:20 PM   #15
dsal

A few questions about the map:

Will the hexes be numbered? The lack of hex numbers on past Iron Mountain maps has always been a hindrance.

On the original map all of the road hexes on the side of the mountain had “Cliffside” edges opposite the mountain. It’s not clear from the image if that is the case here. It would appear that some of the road hexes bordering the valley have cliffsides and others do not. If that is the case it makes the map more flexible but fundamentally changes the Iron Mountain scenario. It would be better to match the original map but to note that scenarios will specify whether (or not) the "cliffs" are a barrier to movement.

Personally I would have preferred that the valley had been made a body of water and put the forest and green clear hexes on the mountain as a plateau (presumably inaccessible from the road in the Iron Mountain scenario due to steepness – but again this could be a scenario specific rule). This would make the map great for an amphibious landing scenario with two distinct bays and the “road” serving as beaches.

I’m not sure I like the presence of the contour lines. It feels like a completely different style than the rest of the map. I would like to see how the map would look with identical mountain hexes. This might also blend better with overlays.

Is there any possibility of creating 2 or 3 different versions of the map and having a survey to determine which backers find to be the most appealing?
dsal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:26 PM   #16
Cat

It would be very nice if at least one edge of M2 was designed to blend with at least one edge of M1 and the road connected.

Then we can do The Big Bus run to Denver too!
:3

(Among other bigger map scenario options)
Old 09-24-2018, 02:40 PM   #17
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsal View Post
A few questions about the map:

Will the hexes be numbered? The lack of hex numbers on past Iron Mountain maps has always been a hindrance.

On the original map all of the road hexes on the side of the mountain had “Cliffside” edges opposite the mountain. It’s not clear from the image if that is the case here. It would appear that some of the road hexes bordering the valley have cliffsides and others do not. If that is the case it makes the map more flexible but fundamentally changes the Iron Mountain scenario. It would be better to match the original map but to note that scenarios will specify whether (or not) the "cliffs" are a barrier to movement.
Keep in mind the art isn't finalized (have a look at the lower right corner, where the Iron Mountain map is rotated a bit and you can see pieces of M1), but I think that's what they were going for with the various hex borders...beach-like on the roads, dark on the north-facing sides, and green bordering the clear/woods.

I'm personally hoping that it's one of those things easy enough to ignore...it'd be nice to be able to use the mat for something other than that one scenario, otherwise it's going to spend way too much time in its tube.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 04:57 PM   #18
voodoo54

What does the yellow/gold hexes represent on the M2 play mat?
voodoo54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:09 PM   #19
dsal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
it'd be nice to be able to use the mat for something other than that one scenario, otherwise it's going to spend way too much time in its tube.
I might write a mountain train scenario for this map or an assault on a fortress. Could do some cool stuff with bridges and tunnels as well. Or a volcano!

I always thought this map would work well with a variable terrain key rather than using the standard terrain graphics (so, for example, the road could be a river in a different scenario or, as I said before, the areas below the road could be considered water and the road could be "beach").

Scenarios might also specify the height of the mountains. In Iron Mountain they can't be entered and block line of sight but shorter mountains might be accessible to infantry and other units might be able to fire over them (perhaps with a range penalty?).
Old 09-24-2018, 05:14 PM   #20
dsal

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo54 View Post
What does the yellow/gold hexes represent on the M2 play mat?
Those hexes were road in the original Iron Mountain scenario but they functioned as clear hexes for terrain purposes (rules for roads had't been introduced yet when the scenario was published).