Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 01-26-2021, 11:10 AM   #11
hcobb

Default Re: Converting D&D classes to TFT characters

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I guess I don't really understand your approach here. I get that D+D monks CAN have a crossbow, but surely they don't have to (I can't recall ever having one that did). It is a less glaring issue but I also don't get the maul; couldn't this character fight with a 1H hammer for exactly the same damage but leaving the other hand free for a small shield or whatever?
He's supposed to have a quarterstaff, but that can not be taken by a starting character who has Acrobatics and UC I. There just aren't enough attribute points for a starting character to waste any on ST.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:09 PM   #12
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
He's supposed to have a quarterstaff, but that can not be taken by a starting character who has Acrobatics and UC I. There just aren't enough attribute points for a starting character to waste any on ST.
Easy fix... lower the quarterstaff's ST requirement to a more appropriate value. I made it a 9 ST weapon in my game.
Old 01-26-2021, 02:05 PM   #13
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
Easy fix... lower the quarterstaff's ST requirement to a more appropriate value. I made it a 9 ST weapon in my game.
Since the Quarterstaff talent doesn't actually do anything will you reduce the memory point cost down to zero?

Yes, my conversions of first level D&D characters have very few "hit points", so how many "hit points" should I aim for?
Old 01-26-2021, 02:26 PM   #14
larsdangly

How's this? Maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but a pretty good starting character with several ways to contribute in or out of combat. And he has both a normal ST score and what I would say is a critical mass of class-relevant talents.

ST 11, DX 11, IQ 10, MA 10
Talents: Acrobatics (2), Priest (1), Unarmed Combat I (1), Quarterstaff (1), Thrown Weapons (2), Sha-ken (1), Acute Hearing (2)
Weapons: Quarterstaff (1d+2; disarm), Sha-ken (1d-2; +2 DX; quickdraw; special attacks)
Unarmed attacks: Punch (1d-1), Kick (-4 DX; 1d)
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 02:39 PM   #15
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Since the Quarterstaff talent doesn't actually do anything will you reduce the memory point cost down to zero?
No, I threw out the idea of progressive unskilled 'club' damage instead. If you want to swing any kind of weapon around effectively in my game, you'll need a talent.
Old 01-26-2021, 02:49 PM   #16
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
How's this?
Plugging this into the character tester: https://www.hcobb.com/tft/tftcalc.html

We get

Unable to select talent {Acrobatics} (DX is too low)
Old 01-26-2021, 05:57 PM   #17
larsdangly

I forgot that prereq! Here's an edit:

ST 11, DX 11, IQ 10, MA 10
Talents: Naturalist (2), Priest (1), Unarmed Combat I (1), Quarterstaff (1), Thrown Weapons (2), Sha-ken (1), Acute Hearing (2)
Weapons: Quarterstaff (1d+2; disarm), Sha-ken (1d-2; +2 DX; quickdraw; special attacks)
Unarmed attacks: Punch (1d-1), Kick (-4 DX; 1d)
Old 01-26-2021, 07:14 PM   #18
hcobb

Gotta nice Shaolin feel to it, but I didn't see anything in the SRD that said that monks gain Naturalist to me.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:58 AM   #19
larsdangly

There is no version of this exercise that is going to exactly replicate every quality of every version of the D+D Monk (or any other class), particularly if the game is played by focusing only on starting characters. I think it is an interesting idea to have a Monk with Naturalists talent. If someone else (or me at a later date or another situation) prefer a monk with some other set of abilities, then you can just make a different choice re. the second-tier, optional talents. Or replace one or more of them with a spell for added mysteriousness.
Old 01-28-2021, 07:22 AM   #20
David Bofinger

Before arguing about the best way to do this you probably need to know why you're doing it.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote