Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-13-2015, 05:20 PM   #10
mlangsdorf

Default Re: Partial Fix of Magic: Fire College

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
@mlangsdorf interesting point about the advanced uses, maybe shift to something like IQ+1 or +2? As for Explosive Fireball, that being a separate spell is part of the problem.
Under the standard system, Explosive Fireball is a separate problem that I can purchase, if I decide I need it, for 1 skill point, and have at a reasonable skill (usually 13-19 for most point budgets).

Under your system, Explosive Fireball is rolled into Fireball, but I can't use it unless I spend enough points to get Fireball-20. For the typical 150-250 point game, my wizard has IQ 14-16 and Magery 3-5, and to get Explosive Fireball needs to spend 1-15 points. which isn't affordable at all for low point value game.

Spending 11 more points to get the same marginally useful spell effect is a detriment. Especially since I suspect that when you try to write up your revised spell list with proper formating, you're not really saving all that much line count.

Tags
magic