Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-25-2013, 08:45 PM   #31
Agemegos

Default Re: [Space] Multiple/Lots of Stars in one system

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
We can cheat with terraforming pods.
And panspermia! And Forerunners with terraforming pods!

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #32
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
I may still adjust the numbers, because the maximum distance between a and e can reach 480 AU and the minimum distance between a and g can fall to 450 AU, so every few million years that part of space can get interesting and there's a small chance those stars (Or should that be Suns?) may hit each other, so something may need to change there.
The problem is not with stars hitting one another. The problem is that if 480 AU from a is close enough to a that e is in orbit around a, at 480 AU, then if g comes in to 450 AU then it is going to be in orbit around a, not around f or c. In other words the stars won't stay in those orbits. The system will turn into a mixmaster.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 04-04-2013 at 02:18 AM.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:24 PM   #33
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
The problem is not with starts hitting one another. The problem is that if 480 AU from a is close enough to a that e is in orbit around a, at 480 AU, then if g comes in to 450 AU then it is going to be in orbit around a, not around f or c. In other words the stars won't stay in those orbits. The system will turn into a mixmaster.
Star e isn't in orbit around a, it's in orbit around b, I was simply using distance from a as a yard stick (since it's a fixed position for the purpose of these calculations)

But I get the idea, I need to move the orbits further out. I think the simplest solution will be to increase the separation multiplier on c, increasing it to *4 works nicely and increasing the orbit of g around f by 50%, epically as I had mucked up before and was using minimum separation when I should have been using maximum separation
scc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
space, system generation