Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 09-10-2014, 05:01 PM   #1
pruckk

Default The "draw two extra treasure" and "dead broke" issue?

So I just played a game. They played Venomous, which added two extra treasures. However, it nowhere states that those 2 treasures are owned by the monster. Just that you draw them after defeating. Which I personally see as a bonus, considering that is how the card is worded.

Then dead broke was played. It says the monster is now dead broke. The current monster had 2 treasures. We then argued over the other 2 treasures, because they are assuming it's part of the monster.

Just curious what the thoughts are here. I read a posting, and it seemed that one persons opinion went as "rule" as they all said, because he's a mod on the forum. However, I personally hold nobody to any specific value here, and I just look for wording in cards or rules.

As far as I am concerned, it says draw two extra after. It is a bonus. Not the monsters treasure.
pruckk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:18 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: The "draw two extra treasure" and "dead broke" issue?

Dead Broke cancels ALL Treasure from a monster, including any extra Treasure it gains as a result of being enhanced.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:28 PM   #3
pruckk

Do you understand why I am so confused though? If it were a card that just said "draw two extra treasures after the monster is defeated" then it wouldnt be effected by dead broke. So why would it be effected just because the primary point adds combat stats to a monster?

If you were playing DnD I feel like it would be equal to someone stealing the monsters treasure, but having a few items on the ground behind him. Unless they specifically stole those items and didn't just steal his, you would still be able to gain that treasure.
pruckk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:58 PM   #4
Enzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruckk View Post
Do you understand why I am so confused though?
I can definitely see why you'd be confused. Munchkin has a lot of different cards that interact with each other in strange and interesting ways :) That's part of why these forums even exist! :)

Quote:
If you were playing DnD I feel like it would be equal to someone stealing the monsters treasure, but having a few items on the ground behind him.
But it's not D&D; comparing it to another game is bound to lead to some confusion ;)
Enzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 05:23 AM   #5
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Do you understand why I am so confused though? If it were a card that just said "draw two extra treasures after the monster is defeated" then it wouldnt be effected by dead broke. So why would it be effected just because the primary point adds combat stats to a monster?
Because the Treasure is added to the Monster's stats. That's how a Monster Enhancer affects a Monster. It adds a bonus to its combat strength and it adds a bonus to its Treasure reward.

Quote:
If you were playing DnD I feel like it would be equal to someone stealing the monsters treasure, but having a few items on the ground behind him. Unless they specifically stole those items and didn't just steal his, you would still be able to gain that treasure.
You're not playing D&D. You're playing Munchkin. And if you were, and the Monster was broke, you're not going to find any treasure in its room, either, so this isn't a compelling comparison.

Quote:
I read a posting, and it seemed that one persons opinion went as "rule" as they all said, because he's a mod on the forum. However, I personally hold nobody to any specific value here, and I just look for wording in cards or rules.
It's not because Andrew, Devin, and I are moderators here, it is because we have been tasked, by the company, to give official answers, which means what we say, especially when at least two of us have said it, is official and is the intended ruling of play. Continued arguing about what we have to say could cause problems, and we will definitely lock down threads where someone is consistently arguing that we are wrong or have made a mistake. I'm confused as to why you would come here, and then reject the rulings that the people tasked to give official rulings make. Why would you reject the experience and knowledge of the people whose job it is have that experience and knowledge, and provide it freely to the regular users of these forums?
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bonus, dead broke, draw two extra, loot, monster loot