Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-31-2017, 04:18 PM   #51
starslayer

Default Re: High Magic Spells

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Patrons are cheaper than signature gear after a certain point (specifically 16 points if all they do is give you some expensive stuff and leave your life forever afterwards).
I still believe that your 'patron: Santa' build is worth a bit more than 16 points, as the patron cannot be one use if they are going to continue to come by to repair/replace your expensive piece of gear as it is damaged/destroyed.

But yea, for a 'you start with a special piece of gear which may be destroyed or taken from you with no recourse' 16 points seems right to me.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 04:21 PM   #52
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
I still believe that your 'patron: Santa' build is worth a bit more than 16 points, as the patron cannot be one use if they are going to continue to come by to repair/replace your expensive piece of gear as it is damaged/destroyed.
Dead uncles and ancient winter gods who now work for Coca-Cola don't appear to be in the maintenance business.
Quote:
But yea, for a 'you start with a special piece of gear which may be destroyed or taken from you with no recourse' 16 points seems right to me.
Then buy plot protection as a perk, and it is even cheaper. 13 points total.

For the OP:
http://papermenplasticmonster.blogsp...ear_9.html?m=1

Last edited by sir_pudding; 07-31-2017 at 04:25 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:59 AM   #53
TimTimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
More context for the quote would be helpful. Could you link the site you're getting this from?
https://blog.ikeran.org/?p=197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
There are ways to do Q&D 200 (without powerstones to help casting refreshes; powerstones recharge very slowly).
Details as to how to do this would be great. If the answer is Energy Reserves at 1.5 CP each, it would be tough, since they come from a book we don't use (Powers).

It does not look like the DM wants us starting with a ship, so Signature gear and Wealth are out. Frankly I prefer the path of eventually making my own ship fly.
TimTimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:48 AM   #54
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTimmy View Post
I'm afraid I think their math is off. Even with Recover Energy 20, you're still only regenerating 1 FP/ER every 2 minutes. If you had a total energy pool, between FP and ER, of 50, you could do one quick and dirty enchantment of 50 points in an hour, then take between 50 and 100 minutes to recover it all (the exact time depends on the balance of FP and ER, since they recover at the same time - the most efficient setup is 25 FP and 25 ER, which takes 50 minutes to recover). So, each "cycle" of enchanting would be between 110 minutes and 160, and then you could do it again. You generally can't work more than 8 hours a day, so that's between 3 and 4 cycles, each one enchanting a 50-point object.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTimmy
Details as to how to do this would be great. If the answer is Energy Reserves at 1.5 CP each, it would be tough, since they come from a book we don't use (Powers).
Energy Reserve, by default, actually costs 3 points per level. The "1.5 per level" cost in that blog assumes, I suspect, limitations on it, something like "Enchantment only", which is probably a reasonable -50% limitation. You could get it down as cheap as 0.6/level, if you can come up with reasonable -80% limitation. Powers suggests that putting "Special Recharge", where the energy reserve doesn't recharge naturally, but requires you to have a special advantage or skill to get energy from elsewhere, is -70%. The Steal Energy spell is listed as one of the options for that. So you could take Energy Reserve 400 (Enchanting Only, -50%; Special Recharge, Only Steal Energy, -70%) [280]. Expensive, but then you could use Quick and Dirty enchanting to create 400-energy enchantments. You'd have to have a lot of people to get the energy from, but hiring 80 people off the street who were willing to have 5 of their FP drained is probably easier than hiring a bunch of competent enchanting assistants.

As for Energy Reserve's source, it also appears in Thaumatology, under "'Magic Only' Fatigue", p. 50. So if your GM is using that, they might allow it. Energy Reserve actually turns up in a number of books, because it's such a useful advantage, especially for flavour. Personally, I think it's almost essential.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:41 PM   #55
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTimmy View Post
[.
It does not look like the DM wants us starting with a ship, so Signature gear and Wealth are out. Frankly I prefer the path of eventually making my own ship fly.
Become wealthy in play, hire a circle, take a few years off as downtime.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:02 PM   #56
Randover

Sorry for bad english.

Screw Magic, go for Gadgeteer Advantage preferebly the 50 points one. It is your inventor advantage, its from basic. You can make new spells, items and lot of other stuff with it, relatively cheaply. See if your GM doesn't mind this one.
Randover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:04 PM   #57
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randover View Post
Sorry for bad english.

Screw Magic, go for Gadgeteer Advantage preferebly the 50 points one. It is your inventor advantage, its from basic. You can make new spells, items and lot of other stuff with it, relatively cheaply. See if your GM doesn't mind this one.
Inventing Ultra-tech anti-gravity (and a suitable power plant) is probably prohibitively expensive, and basically impossible, even with Gadgeteer, unless you are already at TL10+.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:16 PM   #58
Randover

Not tehnology good sir, magic invention.
Randover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:18 PM   #59
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randover View Post
Not tehnology good sir, magic invention.
Inventing an enchantment spell that does the same thing as flying carpet will take longer than just using flying carpet.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:37 PM   #60
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Inventing an enchantment spell that does the same thing as flying carpet will take longer than just using flying carpet.
Inventing an Alchemy item might work better than a Spell but anti-gravity paint is probably still going to be expensive in the necessary quantities.