Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-16-2010, 12:56 PM   #1
Kingmaker

Default Designing weapons.

Just a quick question if anybody knew good rules for designing weapons in GURPS 4ed. I'm running a TL5 post apocalyptic campaign, and there are "naturally" massive oversized ogre type mutants. Basically I wan't to be able to equip some of them with oversized Flintlocks but I don't know what would be reasonable stats for them (including ST requirements.) I know if my players get their hands on one, they'll want to try and use it :P
Kingmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:02 PM   #2
SuedodeuS

Default Re: Designing weapons.

There are no rules I'm aware of. However, this thread discussed a similar weapon, and I gave an estimate of ST 25† for wielding it. Assuming you have High-Tech, you could compare TL 5 muskets to the TL 5 weapon proposed in that thread (note the important parts of the design - namely, damage and range - depend on having the stats of the Hotchkiss) to come up with the stats for your weapon (if the ST 25† weapon doesn't work for your purposes).
Old 04-16-2010, 08:14 PM   #3
cosmicfish

Although it is not technically 4ed, Vehicles includes rules for designing firearms, including strength requirements for handheld weapons. It would not be too difficult to design a handheld flintlock for any particular strength.
cosmicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:26 PM   #4
IrishRover

I'd expect that the guns would be unusable by the PC's as simple hand weapons--but might be usuable with a rest, like the earliest muskets--or on some sort of pintle mount/wall mount.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:38 AM   #5
TheMorten

Gotta love the "braced" rules. :)

In my experience, one can design a custom weapon pretty well through remembering a few basic things:

Damage usually scales up linearly in GURPS for rifle-like weapons - a 7.62mm Battle Rifle deals 7d damage. A .50 cal (12.95 mm) deals 13d+1 damage. I'm not entirely sure whether the same thing goes for muskets - but it's a place to start. Perhaps finding the stats of a small TL 5 cannon and comparing weight and such will yield some ideas.

In my campaigns, range rarely becomes a problem. Therefore I don't exactly know lots about how to modify it - but multiplying the musket ranges by some nice number like 1.5 or 2 sounds good enough for me.

As for ST requirements I recommend using the Basic Lift as a scale to work with. A normal TL 7 Assault Rifle weighs about 10 lbs. and requires ST 10 with both hands.

A matchlock musket weighs 20 lbs. and requires ST 10. That does include use of a musket rest though. Bracing a weapon shaves off 1/3 of the weapon's ST requirement, so to fire the 20 lbs. matchlock musket without the musket rest, would require ST 15, which is a Basic Lift of 45. Basic Lift 45 vs. a weapon weight of 20 lbs. So it turns out that weapons usually require a Basic Lift about twice the weapon's weight.

An ST 25 musket would weigh a whopping 62.5 lbs., which might be about the size you are going for.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:02 AM   #6
vsh

And change damage type to pi++.
vsh is offline   Reply With Quote