Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 07-01-2013, 02:00 PM   #1
David Johnston2

Default The World of Dreams

Imagine a setting made up of things from people's dreams ala Lovecraft's Dreamlands or Wonderland. What could escape from your dreams to make up part of it?

From my dreams:

Butterflies with the stings and disposition of killer bees

Scorpitank. A huge fusion of scorpion and battletank. And yes, there's a crew compartment, if you can survive to get into it.

The Pursuer. A totally hairless humanoid that quickly regenerates all forms of injury and runs tirelessly after its target.

Hyper Tree. A kind of psuedo-cherry tree that grows instantly when the seed is swallowed or otherwise planted in organic material. Kind of nasty, but it does kill Pursuers. Be careful eating the cherries.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:14 PM   #2
lwcamp

Default Re: The World of Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Imagine a setting made up of things from people's dreams ala Lovecraft's Dreamlands or Wonderland. What could escape from your dreams to make up part of it?
Anthropophagus sleeping bags. They often ambush people from inside elevators.

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:47 AM   #3
William

The primary thing that would escape my dreams is The Twisted Place, which is a large building of complexly connected, rather narrow corridors, usually uninhabited and quiet. Normally artificial in appearance, The Place can look like anything from the utility stairwells of a skyscraper to a fully-functional mall (sans people).

For an entire RPG setting based on dream characters and places, consider In Nomine's "Ethereal Player's Guide," or a GURPS translation thereof.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:57 AM   #4
combatmedic
Banned

Last night there was a bloated, aging pyscho-slasher with deep scars in his body like somebody had tried to fillet him years ago. He flew around on a gigantic red brick borne through the air by a team of swans. The man couldn't speak properly, but just croaked and mumbled. I think he shot arrows with a bow, but that might have been part of an earlier dream. It got a bit fuzzy.
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:26 PM   #5
tshiggins

Monster: A predatory feline the size of a mountain lion, with the coloration of a Siamese cat, and a single large eye of pale blue in the middle of its face. It stalks. (I was a teenager when I had that one, and woke up in a cold sweat. I didn't even know that was a literal physiological condition, until that dream.)

Monster: A beautiful female with fingernails that resemble badger claws. She gets close, and then digs them into the guts of her victim. Usually, several of these appear, and when you think you've gotten away from one, another appears and digs in the claws. Eventually, they're all around (dreamed about these, one night, after I had a really spicy bowl of Mongolian beef...).

Treasure: A long black topcoat. You put it on, and step off a high place, and it turns into a large pair of elegant ebony wings that allow effortless flight through a pale blue-white sky. (I've had this dream intermittently -- usually when my life is going well, and I'm pretty happy.)

Location: A giant, round prison with a structure that seems organic. Made of a beautiful, pale gray stone as smooth as porcelain, the interior has ripples and ridges like smoke-colored rose-petals that gradually became steeper, the higher you try to climb the exterior walls. There is no way out, except for a spiral spindle tower that grows from the middle of the vast chamber. Even though entirely contained within the structure, a gate at the top of the spindle tower opens into the pale blue sky. The gate is the only way out, which means the way to escape is to reach the top of the tower at the center of the prison. (I only had this one, once. I left the newspaper business, shortly thereafter, and I never had it, again.)

Location: A maze of black brick buildings, with narrow passageways between them. Entry into the maze induces partial paralysis to the legs, accompanied by a deep ache in the thighs. You can't run -- you can barely walk, and there's no escape, anyway (I've had this one, several times, usually when life hasn't been going so well...). This would be my version of William's "Twisted Place," I'd guess.

Last edited by tshiggins; 07-02-2013 at 09:38 PM.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:45 AM   #6
William

Perhaps we frequent similar regions of the Dreamlands.

My flying device only appeared once; it was an open cardboard box whose flaps caught impossibly good updrafts.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:49 PM   #7
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Perhaps we frequent similar regions of the Dreamlands.

My flying device only appeared once; it was an open cardboard box whose flaps caught impossibly good updrafts.
I like that one. I could see myself waking up as I laughed in delight. 8)
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #8
Mr_Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Very Calvineque, in a transmogrifier/time machine sense.
Mr_Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:40 PM   #9
Johnny1A.2

Once, as a boy, I dreamed that a massive volcanic eruption had devastated my hometown (I grew up in Illinois, not a major current day volcanic area), and I was scrambling to survive and get away from the blast zone. The dream was initially strangely 'mundane' in a way, though. I was a nerdy kid and had read up a lot about the effects of eruptions, they were all there, or my idea of them, fields of scoria, liquid lava flows, scorched land and leveled forests (my dream volcano had pyroclastic effects and large liquid lava flows, it was a dream, not a geology text).

What woke me up shaking was when I saw the demon swimming in the lava flow...
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #10
Johnny Angel

The most terrifying dream I can remember having was one I had when I was a small boy; I still remember it vividly.

The best way I can describe it is to say there was some kind of vampire snake which was taking over Earth. Much like vampires (or zombies I suppose,) people would turn into these snakes after they had been bitten. Their goal was to turn everyone on the planet into a snake. At the end of the dream, I was the only one left, and I had to continually run from the hordes of vampire snakes.

The weird thing is that I'm not afraid of snakes at all. I think what was scary at the time was the inescapable fate of the situation. There was also a sense of oddness added to something which is normally natural. As best as I can remember, the vampire snakes didn't look unusual, but somehow you could still look at them and tell they were not normal snakes. It may have been the age I was, but I remember them being pretty simple... just green snakes with two vampire-like fangs in their mouths, and round eyes. They could slither unbelievably fast; fast enough to keep up with a running human.
Johnny Angel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dream