Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-04-2018, 09:16 AM   #41
Pomphis

Default Re: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 4: Dragons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post

Dragon Hatchling
This is really nice. Make it a Pyramid article ?
Pomphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:56 AM   #42
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
By the way, thanks for all the great discussion! This was a quick writing project I did to bring GURPS Dungeon Fantasy up to speed with the DFRPG in terms of monsters . . . I didn't realize people liked dragons that much. Now I have to think of the next monster to put in the spotlight.
I think the most useful book would be demons to spotlight. There are tons and tons of evil powers and abilities they can have so the book would have to be big. They need to be upgraded too with the abilities that AD&D demons have like teleport,gate and Infernal powers. Demon lords, princes maybe even kings or queens? Maybe some upgrades for holy clerics, holy warriors and demonologists to fight them and also rules for evil clerics, evil wizards and unholy warriors to control them. Maybe some discussion on holy vs unholy powers and also about Hell (preferably maybe different kinds of Hell).

After that faeries would be useful ( I would like some djinn if possible).

Last edited by b-dog; 10-04-2018 at 11:12 AM.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:33 AM   #43
Varyon

Quote:
By the way, thanks for all the great discussion! This was a quick writing project I did to bring GURPS Dungeon Fantasy up to speed with the DFRPG in terms of monsters . . . I didn't realize people liked dragons that much. Now I have to think of the next monster to put in the spotlight.
I'm kind of surprised that this caught you by surprise. Dragons tend to be a huge deal when dealing with fantasy settings, particularly the dungeon-delving subgenre. This made their lack - as you've already acknowledged - a serious oversight when it came to the DF line.

Now that I've read the book, it's a bit different than I expected - I had anticipated some preworked dragon lineages of some sort. Instead, as is perhaps more appropriate for GURPS, we get the tools to build dragons, with some nods as to how lineages might function. The fact you opted to have cone breath weapons use thrust damage was awesome, particularly as that means when making a player template one can use Natural Weapons from Pyramid #3/65 (it also makes it very easy to scale for stronger and weaker dragons). The breath weapons themselves were well done, and had some rather interesting variants without making it seem like you were getting too out-there like some of the more exotic variants from That Other Game.

All told, a very good work. I'll have to digest it a bit more before bashing out a template concept for the "humanoid dragon" Alternate Form.

EDIT: I did have a rules question, however. I've always treated 1-yard-wide cones as a line affecting everyone, but here we see that a person in the way can effectively shield those behind them. Is this something specific to DF dragons, or is this the way Cone was always meant to function?

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
I think the most useful book would be demons to spotlight.
Any treatment of demons must include the demonic cattle used to craft diabolical whips.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:46 AM   #44
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
I think the most useful book would be demons to spotlight.
Agreed! Demons can be rampaging monsters, hidden threats, arch-enemies, quest-givers, punishers, anything. They can turn up in any sort of shape or size, with any abilities. There are PCs dedicated to slaying them, banishing them, summoning them, and studying them. Demons even have their own realm(s) that PCs can try to visit (or never visit).

Lots of good stuff to pack into a book.

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:01 AM   #45
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
One of the oddities of RPGing is that the titular Dragons in "Dungeons and Dragons" are steered I think by the "epic" model of dragons. Smaug, who was as much a force of nature as anything else; the dragon from DragonSlayer. These are EPIC threats, and while I may be misremembering, the original dragons from the old Monster Manual didn't have a volume knob that tuned down to "widdle biddy dwagon." You got awesome red dragons with fire breath, and oh, of course there's Tiamat - who some nasty GM threw at a bunch of 1st level characters in the eponymous D&D cartoon. Of course, that same GM gave those 1st level characters artifact-level magic items, too. So YMMV.

Things like "How to Train Your Dragon" throws dragons around like they're housecats (well, they ARE housecats in behavior) and changes the stakes quite a bit - now in popular culture, a dragon might be something that any proper Viking with a side of extra muscles should be able to take one-on-one.

So there's definitely a trend - which I embraced fully in my Dragon Heresy work, now seen in Nordlond with the Dungeon Fantasy RPG - to have more darn dragons around when you're exploring dungeons.

Allows actual Dungeons and Dragons rather than Dungeons and Anything But Dragons So You Don't All Die Horribly.
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:14 AM   #46
bert

Doug, I am looking forward to the Dire Rabbit Dragon crossover inspired by a certain pyramid article.

Also, GURPS Discworld has a unique flavour of dragons...
bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:32 AM   #47
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Ah yes; I copied it wholesale from the Dragonblooded template. I only realized Dragonblooded don't spend FP for their breath weapon when I did that.

EDIT: I've written it up on my blog including that tweak, and a couple of other little things, including making a formal lens for dragons that aren't pseudohumanoids.
Nice, by the way Quadruped struck me as the cleanest writeup I think I have ever seen, mind if I use it?
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:37 AM   #48
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
Agreed! Demons can be rampaging monsters, hidden threats, arch-enemies, quest-givers, punishers, anything. They can turn up in any sort of shape or size, with any abilities. There are PCs dedicated to slaying them, banishing them, summoning them, and studying them. Demons even have their own realm(s) that PCs can try to visit (or never visit).

Lots of good stuff to pack into a book.
Also signing on for demons. We have GURPS Zombies and prior GURPS Undead, so that's a lower priority for GURPS as a system whole... but after Demons I would suggest Dungeon Fantasy Monsters X: Undead as another place to turn ones gaze. The Zombies part is pretty thoroughly explored (along with fringes that can cover wights, ghouls, etc.) but there's a lot more undead in fantasy than those.

Also, an official dracolich is de-rigeur.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:08 PM   #49
bert

Lest not forget the Elder Things! But, I would by any Dungeon Fantasy, Fantasy or GURPS bestiary.
bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:16 PM   #50
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
Lest not forget the Elder Things! But, I would by any Dungeon Fantasy, Fantasy or GURPS bestiary.
I was just going to mention elder things. I'd love to see more of them. Thinking of starting a thread on the DFRPG board where people can share what they've come up with. (There are only four in the DFRPG Monsters book.)

But I love demons too. I'd be happy with just about any monster treatment that is fully fleshed out.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote