Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-04-2017, 02:30 AM   #1
jacobmuller

Default [Magic; Spaceships] Power Mad

Random thought: what if spaceships could use magic...
Already using a House System with Magic but calling it Psionics;
interstellar travel (and local high speed) is basically Gating.

Spaceship Magic Points?
Hmm, I have notes [YMMD] that say:
10FP approximate 3kw;
power plants rate 3mw per ton per power point.

If so, then an SM+7 ship with a 5ton power plant would have 50,000FP per power point?
But magic effects on its scale, approx. say 140 yards by 40yards, would need 1,400FP per level.

So, if I let Scaled Magic Points, approx 30 per power plant point, and just cost magic as SMPs,
I could have ships casting Shield to add +1-4 Dodge?

How about Fireballs and Armor? Maybe if I set the Damage ratings to scale with their ST?
SM+7 dST35, is that 7dD6 (70d6). And armor limit would be half dST, so dST/10 per level.?
Fireball level 3 would be 21dD6 for 3SMP; Armor level 5, 35dDR for 10SMP to caste/ 5SMP to maintain?

1 Power Point equates to 30SMP?
= Lots of magical fun with AI Magi Spaceships...
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:20 AM   #2
Stormcrow

Default Re: [Magic; Spaceships] Power Mad

I don't have anything useful to add; I only wanted to mention that this reminds me of the old Parker Brothers board game Shadowlord!

"Once, a great man ruled the galaxies of the Universe. They called him the Starlord. He was very wise, very good, and very powerful. He could move planets with a point of his finger; build space ships out of stardust blown from his hand; toss enemies aside with a simple thought. His power was supreme, yet always there was justice."

The players are the Star Masters, the children of the Star Lord. After the Star Lord dies and the Shadows steal the Power Stone and conquer the Universe, they rediscover how to build space ships and begin traveling through the galaxies again, searching for allies. It's a very '80s cross between Star Wars and The Dark Crystal.
Stormcrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:25 AM   #3
Stormcrow

On your actual point, though, I will add that you can just take the existing spaceship systems and declare them to operate by magic instead of by scientific principles. Force screens become shield spells, lasers become lightning bolts, power plants become power stones, etc. Spaceships become immune to EMP, but are vulnerable to anti-magic or low mana.
Stormcrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:07 AM   #4
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
On your actual point, though, I will add that you can just take the existing spaceship systems and declare them to operate by magic instead of by scientific principles. Force screens become shield spells, lasers become lightning bolts, power plants become power stones, etc. Spaceships become immune to EMP, but are vulnerable to anti-magic or low mana.
Pretty much this. Also see Spaceships 7: Divergent and paranormal Tech
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 04:48 PM   #5
Jasonft

An interesting possibility is that the various levels of hyperspace have different levels of mana. Higher levels of hyperspace also mean faster transit times or easier Gate spells.

Higher levels are also downright weird and things that like to eat starships live there.
Jasonft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, magic, science fiction, spaceships, ultratech