Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 05-31-2018, 10:42 PM   #1
David Johnston2

Default The Utility of Organics

Is there any job or profession that organics can do better than the machines?
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:22 AM   #2
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: The Utility of Organics

Anything where economics or logistics are more important than attaining maximum individual toughness. THS is a world where cybershells are 'PC material' - good but prohibitively expensive compared to the more budget-but-good-enough choice of using organics.

E.g. even though the individual top-of-the-line cybershell plus SAI may be better than organics, as a group and a company, the Vacs of Clarke-1 just build space stations faster and cheaper than either humans in suits or infomorphs in cybershells.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:47 PM   #3
Flyndaran
Untagged

Realistically, only where it's legally or culturally required. But THS puts organics in places that really don't make any economical or logical sense.
You just have to sweep the issue under the rug to get the game going.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:55 AM   #4
RogerBW

Where you need slow, inaccurate computers that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.

Or:

On the Biosapient Reservation, where they can be kept away from sharp things.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 07:54 AM   #5
DaibhidC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
Where you need slow, inaccurate computers that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.
Reminded of the Red Dwarf line that the Skutters don't do Lister and Rimmer's job (restocking vending machines), because the robots have a better union.
DaibhidC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:30 AM   #6
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
But THS puts organics in places that really don't make any economical or logical sense.
Actually they do. They're an often purely physically inferior but cheaper alternative to non-organics. That's their place. They're the budget workhorse Fourth Wave thing in a world where the Fifth Wave presents new cutting-edge-but-expensive shinies. The setting seems to be upfront that organics are not as cool as synth-robotics. It's basics vs. luxuries.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:35 PM   #7
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I get the impression that organics are by far the cheapest minds in THS. You can get automation cheaply, but that only does the same thing again and again. If you want a fully intelligent mind, organics are the easy option.

Why?

because XOXing is illegal. Its not just illegal, its fringe, its not really supported by any but the most hated of criminals, and sticks out as the one issue not up for debate in THS. Almost every other technological aspect is up for debate, from cloning to genetic manipulation to bioplauges to mind uploading, but XOXing is universally considered evil. Which means every intelligence was either expensively converted from an organic, or expensively programmed from essentially scratch. If you do it any other way, you're Xoxing.

And I think this was very intentional when the setting was built.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:09 PM   #8
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Why?

because XOXing is illegal.
Only for SAIs. Perfectly fine for LAIs.
Old 06-04-2018, 01:23 PM   #9
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I get the impression that organics are by far the cheapest minds in THS. You can get automation cheaply, but that only does the same thing again and again. If you want a fully intelligent mind, organics are the easy option.

Why?

because XOXing is illegal. Its not just illegal, its fringe, its not really supported by any but the most hated of criminals, and sticks out as the one issue not up for debate in THS. Almost every other technological aspect is up for debate, from cloning to genetic manipulation to bioplauges to mind uploading, but XOXing is universally considered evil. Which means every intelligence was either expensively converted from an organic, or expensively programmed from essentially scratch. If you do it any other way, you're Xoxing.

And I think this was very intentional when the setting was built.
That assumes sapient right out of the box is impossible. Even with THS superscience education, it takes weeks of growth and schooling to force a bioroid to be useful.
Sure an A.I. won't start off with years of experience the way a xoxed copy would, but they'll still start off much more skilled than one just grown.
Old 06-04-2018, 01:56 PM   #10
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
That assumes sapient right out of the box is impossible. Even with THS superscience education, it takes weeks of growth and schooling to force a bioroid to be useful.

Actually, what I assumed is that sapient right out of the box is a Xox, because it starts out identical to an existing and historical AI.

I suppose to some lesser extent it assumes you can't build an effectively unique AI by messing with some random input seeds and running server for a month

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote