Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-29-2016, 03:47 PM   #21
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: GURPS Reprints - Magic, Thaumatology, and Ultra-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
I've looked further into this and I apologize; I was mistaken about these versions having been uploaded.
That's fine, I was wondering if it was something like that.
Quote:
It's worth noting that, due to our optimizing them for CreateSpace, these new files are laid out in black & white, not color. So when we do upload them, they will be B&W PDFs, much like Ultra-Tech.
Fine with me. I was brought up on RPGs with b/w line art, and what I see in my mind's eye during a game isn't lushly airbrushed; I find that style of art rather disrupting to my imagination.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:07 PM   #22
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
I've looked further into this and I apologize; I was mistaken about these versions having been uploaded.

The newest files have been sent to CreateSpace, but are not yet available as PDFs. This is because "PDFs to be used as ebooks" are actually created rather differently than "PDFs to be used for print-on-demand" -- their covers are handled differently, they need bookmarks, etc. So these have not yet been created because we've had to prioritize the Dungeon Fantasy RPG and other day-to-day projects first. (It's not going to take a lot of work to finish these up -- perhaps a day or so -- but that still means waiting until we have a spare day.)

It's worth noting that, due to our optimizing them for CreateSpace, these new files are laid out in black & white, not color. So when we do upload them, they will be B&W PDFs, much like Ultra-Tech.

Will the eBooks be PDFs, or ePUB/MOBI-formatted? As I've been prepping Dungeon Grappling, my first stretch goal was an ebook formatted for small screens and tablets. That meant a single-column layout in one of those formats (but also B/W, no art, yes charts), rather than the PDF format which is pretty irritating to read on a small device due to the need to navigate around the page by column.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:47 PM   #23
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Will the eBooks be PDFs, or ePUB/MOBI-formatted? As I've been prepping Dungeon Grappling, my first stretch goal was an ebook formatted for small screens and tablets. That meant a single-column layout in one of those formats (but also B/W, no art, yes charts), rather than the PDF format which is pretty irritating to read on a small device due to the need to navigate around the page by column.
No, Ebook epub/mobi can't handle tables in a readable manner. and PDFs are still the standard

and the reflow text means they break page references
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 11:48 PM   #24
Tomsdad

Just to say I was looking at this via GM Joe's notification elsewhere, and the international shipping is pretty cheap!

That and the books being back on Amazon, it's great news
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 04:03 AM   #25
scimon

Is this a case of "If it goes well we'll do more?" because I'd really like to see a reprint of High Tech.
MIB #0366. Scotland.
scimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 04:13 AM   #26
Gnomasz

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
I also liked the fairly low shipping cost to Finland, so overall: Nice.
Would you share the price? I guess it should be comparable across Europe and I don't feel like creating a customer account just to check the shipping price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
No, Ebook epub/mobi can't handle tables in a readable manner. and PDFs are still the standard
Well, the epub format can handle tables pretty well, the implementation might be lacking. My reader surely is bad at this.
Old 11-30-2016, 05:00 AM   #27
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scimon View Post
Is this a case of "If it goes well we'll do more?" because I'd really like to see a reprint of High Tech.
We're collecting data on GURPS and will review things in early 2017. We've put a lot of staff resources into the line over the last three to four months, and every scrap of info we collect is going into one big pool that we'll swim in and explore soon enough.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 05:24 AM   #28
Nemoricus

Quote:
While I understand the reasoning, I also find this disappointing. The color versions of the book are nice.
Nemoricus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 05:48 AM   #29
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomasz View Post
Well, the epub format can handle tables pretty well, the implementation might be lacking. My reader surely is bad at this.
No they can only handled SMALL tables ok. epub will NEVER be possible to handed tables well because the lack of side scrolling will always break them, and side scroll would break there flow purpose of epub.

note almost all of GURPS tables are the type that get broken (with the notable exception of tabled like the speed/range table)
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 11:43 AM   #30
Armin
GCA Prime

I understand optimizing for CreateSpace, but I don't understand why these books weren't made available in color. Weren't they originally done in color, so color assets are already available for them? CreateSpace offers full color bleed, so I'm missing why these reprints are in black and white.

Tags
print on demand, reprint