Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Old 12-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
TJA

Default Version Information on PDFs ...

I recently tried to check if i have the latest version of GURPS Mass Combat.

But i needed to learn, that there is just no version information available in e23.

So, i strongly suggest to add a version information on all available downloads!

Thank you.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
Steven Marsh

Default Re: Version Information on PDFs ...

Just to make sure I understand...

Do you mean on your Library/files download page (when logged in)?
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
TJA

I just would like to be able to check the current version of a PDF.

So far, i tried here:

http://e23.sjgames.com/item.html?id=SJG37-0131

Cannot see any version information.

My PDF says, it is Version 1.2 from August 2010.
I would not like to download any and all PDFs i every bought, just to make sure that i have the latest versions :)

Last edited by TJA; 12-14-2012 at 01:04 PM.
TJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
Steven Marsh

Hmmm...

The problem is that there really isn't a consistent "version number" that we can use universally across e23.

In case it's not obvious, the version numbers used in SJ Games' PDFs are more-or-less arbitrary; there aren't hard-and-fast rules for what constitutes a .1 version increase versus, say, a .01 increase. And, of course, other publishers can use whatever form for their version numbers (up to and including no version numbers at all).

I think it'd be a fair bit easier to note when a file was updated; then, if there's a question of whether or not you have the most recent version, you can check the date stamp of your copy with the "last updated" date. It's also a method that could be largely automated by our system.

Would something like that be useful? (I can't make any promises, but I know we're still working on behind-the-scenes modifications to our systems, so something I can propose and codify has a greater shot of being implemented than a more vague or labor-intensive pie-in-the-sky request.)
Old 12-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #5
TJA

Thanks a bunch!
This would be fine.

I am wondering that nobody else asked for such a thing :)
Old 12-14-2012, 02:21 PM   #6
Steven Marsh

Again, I can't make any promises, but I'll forward on the request to the web gurus and they can add it to the universal "Stuff Folks Have Requested" wish list.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 12-14-2012, 02:42 PM   #7
SCAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Marsh View Post
Hmmm...

The problem is that there really isn't a consistent "version number" that we can use universally across e23.
The e23 cover page of almost all PDFs have a version and date at the bottom right, under the word 'Games' of 'Steve Jackson Games', to the left of the eye in the pyramid.
For instance, my copy of Mass Combat says: Version 1.2 - August 2010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Marsh View Post
I think it'd be a fair bit easier to note when a file was updated; then, if there's a question of whether or not you have the most recent version, you can check the date stamp of your copy with the "last updated" date. It's also a method that could be largely automated by our system.

Would something like that be useful? (I can't make any promises, but I know we're still working on behind-the-scenes modifications to our systems, so something I can propose and codify has a greater shot of being implemented than a more vague or labor-intensive pie-in-the-sky request.)
The 'last updated' date would be a simple and consistent way to tag all releases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJA View Post
Thanks a bunch!
This would be fine.

I am wondering that nobody else asked for such a thing :)
I'm pretty sure this has come up before, although not recently.
I think you used to be able to read the version I describe above from the cover page images on the e23 site (once upon a time), or perhaps on the previews (although that's not so easy for a quick check of all the files in your library!)
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:38 AM   #8
TorgSmith

I would like a last updated date as well.

What would be really cool is to have the last downloaded and updated dates added as columns in the “Your Library” page of our account. I realize this would not be able to handle updates or downloads prior to the implementation date. It would be nice once the feature was in. I also realize this might be a lot of work.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:02 AM   #9
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAR View Post
The e23 cover page of almost all PDFs have a version and date at the bottom right, under the word 'Games' of 'Steve Jackson Games', to the left of the eye in the pyramid.
For instance, my copy of Mass Combat says: Version 1.2 - August 2010.
That's half the battle, but the other half is missing.

Here's an e23 product that I know has been updated. The page doesn't mention any update. The preview PDF does, but consider the size of many folks' e23 collections. Loading dozens of PDFs on the off-chance one of them will show a newer revision date than the PDF in one's collection is quite the chore.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #10
TJA

Yep, version information in the user´s library page would be THE VERY BEST THING!
:)

You would just be able to see what you downloaded last time and what is current!

Please, please :)