Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-19-2008, 05:39 PM   #261
panton41

Default Re: List Of your favorite Custom Perks

As someone who's job requires them to basically pull an all-nighter on a regular basis (as in at this very moment) this Perk as written is unrealistic. (And I'd probably have it!)

I'd make it a HT bonus to avoid fatigue rolls due to lack of sleep, but once you hit 24 hours awake (like I am at this very moment) any failed roll means you are hit with Fatigue loss as if you'd failed every roll. This would allow you to put off the Fatigue loss until later, and get through an all-nighter, but at some point you get slammed by it.

I'll also add, since I don't know RAW, but severe Fatigue loss make me hungry, thirsty and sweaty until I get that sleep.

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 08:37 AM   #262
Blarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanniynim
This seems a little over-powered to me. Used correctly, this means that I can go without sleep for 40 hours, then sleep 8, and repeat the process. That's the equivalent of Less Sleep 4, if I remember correctly (IDHMBWM).

Either way, it's too powerful. If I were going to think about this perk, I'd add a HT (-2?) roll to avoid the effects of one night's sleep without penalty and say you have to sleep normally for the rest of the week.
You have a point. Perhaps it could work like Less Sleep 4, useable once/week.
Blarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:20 AM   #263
tanniynim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blarg
More like Doesn't Sleep [20] once a week. Less Sleep 4 once a week would let you sleep only half a night once a week. While technically, you can't apply enough limitations to make this a perk, if you're the GM, you can allow it.

Again, IDHMBWM so please correct anything I do wrong, but I'd build it this way:

I think I remember reading that 1/week was worth -75% (is this Powers?), and that sounds pretty good from my extrapolation from 1/day. For the other 20% (stretching the -80% RAW cap), I'd make it a HT-2 roll AFTER you missed sleep to avoid the penalties. If you fail the HT-2 roll, you still take the penalties of missed sleep. HT-2 may seem to be a little steep, but "it's JUST a perk" and you get to ATTEMPT something other characters don't.

All-Nighter V1(Great name, BTW): Mostly through your good physical health and through "practice", you've developed the ability to "shrug off" the penalties of missed sleep every once in a while. You can *attempt* to ignore the penalties of missed sleep with a HT-2 roll once a week. Whether a success or a failure, you must get 6 full nights of rest before attempting to shrug off the penalties of another missed night of sleep.

If the Less Sleep 4 version is what you want, I'd built it as:

All-Nighter V2: Mostly through your good physical health and through "practice", you've developed the ability to work through half the night every once in a while and not suffer any consequences. Once a week, you can *attempt* to ignore penalties from 4 hours of missed sleep with a HT roll. Failure indicates that you fall asleep or must take the appropriate fatigue penalties. Whether a success or a failure, you must get 6 full nights of rest before attempting to shrug off the penalties again. (This version sounds great for college students, professors, researchers, writers, workaholics and anyone who needs to meet regular deadlines)

Last edited by tanniynim; 09-20-2008 at 09:29 AM.
tanniynim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:41 AM   #264
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blarg
Remember your actual sleep schedule is a special effect. If you must sleep 48 hours a week instead of the usual 56 hours, you simply buy Less Sleep 1.14. The six 8 hour periods is a special effect. In principle you pay zero points for a character than spends 4 months straight awake and then hibernates for two.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:31 PM   #265
Fwibos

I dunno if this is a good Perk, but I shoot Polar Bears out my mouth. So, here goes:

High Manual Dexterity: You have an innate grasp for those little schematic line drawings, even if the rest of the instructions are written in Chinese by a dyslexic walrus. If you have instructions for something, you get +1 on skill rolls concerning it, including defaults. Also, if a manual exists for something, you can find how to get it (though actually getting it is another matter). Manuals you own are always in good condition and easily accessible near your equipment.
Word of God and Word of Kromm are pretty much the same thing in my book
Fwibos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 02:59 PM   #266
Pericles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwibos
High Manual Dexterity
More like high manual apprehension/perception because it can be confused with the normal manual dexterity advantage. Besides shouldn't manuals give a bonus anyway?
Old 09-20-2008, 06:51 PM   #267
Fwibos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pericles
More like high manual apprehension/perception because it can be confused with the normal manual dexterity advantage. Besides shouldn't manuals give a bonus anyway?
Somebody give these threads "No Sense of Humor", Seriously.

Yeah, that's why the Manual is italicized, It adds emphasis to the word otherwise missing in text. It's a Joke on.. oh nevermind.

Yes, Yes manuals should.
Word of God and Word of Kromm are pretty much the same thing in my book
Fwibos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:19 PM   #268
cybermancer2k1

Been awhile, I see, but nonetheless:

Norm! Whenever you enter one social venue that you frequent (usually a bar) the other regular patrons will all greet you warmly (and loudly) in unison by name in response to your greeting. They will use your most commonly known name, whether your actual name, an alias, or a nickname. Even those who do not know you will at least shout a warm "hello!" You must offer an audible greeting in order to enjoy this perk.

Saloon entrance: Whenever you enter a social establishment, all sound --including music -- stops upon your entrance as all eyes turn to regard you. The room will stay silent for five seconds, long enough for you to glance around drmatically, take a seat, etc. but will then resume as though nothing happened.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:32 PM   #269
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Hey, these two are pretty cool.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:40 PM   #270
cybermancer2k1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh
Hey, these two are pretty cool.
Thanks. Happy New Year to ya!