Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 08-31-2016, 02:22 PM   #31
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsconley View Post
Of course they could always combine the interior books and sell that at a later point.
They could, certainly, but I see the five-volume set as a desirable functional feature. The way the content is configured, I can, without thinking about it at all hard, conceive of cases where four of the five books are in use by different players simultaneously rather than waiting to pass a single book around. I see that as a significant point in favor of the goal of ease of use.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:31 PM   #32
PK

The guiding star or mantra here was, "Keep it straightforward, keep it simple, and keep it standalone (which is to say, include enough so the GM can run a typical group of delvers without needing to buy other books)."

That applies to adventurer creation, system rules, magic, and more.

Since we've already leaked that Adventurers will be the longest book at 128 pages, that should make it obvious that the whole of GURPS Magic will not be included. What will be included is a distillation of that book that is straightforward, simple, and standalone.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:37 PM   #33
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
sigh.
However I have faith in Kromm.
There is no way this was a quick compilation and edit, I feel he had to put a lot of thought into commentry and feedback and how he could make it better then the original.
5 books, one being Adventurers so I am betting Magic is another book by itself.
I don't expect it to replace GURPS Magic in its entirety (no Gate college for example) but I fully expect there to be changes. If there are and this is advertised I expect that alone to be cause for increased sales.

In fact lets see what books we can guess at?
Adventures is a definite.
Gamemastering
Magic
Combat
Monsters

Those are my guesses.
Combat and Game-mastering are probably together in a Campaigns type book. I bet you're right on magic and monsters. That leaves one mystery book. Since the game is "ready to play," I'm betting some sort of campaign, or series of encounters, or something like it.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:46 PM   #34
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
They could, certainly, but I see the five-volume set as a desirable functional feature. The way the content is configured, I can, without thinking about it at all hard, conceive of cases where four of the five books are in use by different players simultaneously rather than waiting to pass a single book around. I see that as a significant point in favor of the goal of ease of use.
I can too, depends on the books of course but Magic would easily and often likely make the rounds during a game.
Hmm wonder if Combat cards are a stretch goal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Combat and Game-mastering are probably together in a Campaigns type book. I bet you're right on magic and monsters. That leaves one mystery book. Since the game is "ready to play," I'm betting some sort of campaign, or series of encounters, or something like it.
Your probably right. I was thinking about the utility of a combat book being passed around at the table but Combat Cards would work too.
Or a common modifier chart.
Maybe a Dungeon book for the adventure? So you have rules for building and populating a dungeon as sort of a generic adventure?
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:50 PM   #35
Anders

Or, knowing the Doctor's hobbies, maybe a book on good drinks for perusal during the gaming session.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:57 PM   #36
(E)

Quick aside
Please remember some people don't live in the US when choosing kickstarter rewards etc.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 03:03 PM   #37
dbm

Yes, a Europe friendly fulfilment option would be greatly appreciated!
dbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 03:45 PM   #38
kmunoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
The guiding star or mantra here was, "Keep it straightforward, keep it simple, and keep it standalone (which is to say, include enough so the GM can run a typical group of delvers without needing to buy other books)."

That applies to adventurer creation, system rules, magic, and more.

Since we've already leaked that Adventurers will be the longest book at 128 pages, that should make it obvious that the whole of GURPS Magic will not be included. What will be included is a distillation of that book that is straightforward, simple, and standalone.
As I've said elsewhere I'm going to want this thing no matter what it contains. It's useful merely as propaganda, if nothing else. But for my own personal uses I do have a question. It may not yet be answerable.

Will it be made clear, either externally or inside the box set itself, what the contents are "replacing" as far as the DF line is concerned? I'd like to know which PDFs I can "retire" to the "not needed" folder once I have this thing in hand.
kmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:49 PM   #39
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

What This Is: A standalone roleplaying game, Powered by GURPS – a game created using GURPS as a toolkit. To create it, I had to rewrite big chunks of the GURPS Basic Set, GURPS Dungeon Fantasy (mostly the first three volumes), and – have no fear – GURPS Magic. I also had to write more original material than I realized back in January . . . Whether you're a GURPS fan, a player of other RPGs, or a total newbie to gaming, there's something in the box for you.

What This Is Not: An "update" or a "repackaging" of anything. This is not "all the GURPS Dungeon Fantasy supplements and related Pyramid issues in one place for existing GURPS fans." That would intimidate the living crud out of newbies, who we hope will buy the game! In fact, you don't have to know what a "gurps" is to use this. (Depending on how many house rules you use, you might even be better off if you don't!)

More on this in upcoming weeks . . . I'm still writing the Designer's Notes articles.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:53 PM   #40
kmunoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
In fact, you don't have to know what a "gurps" is to use this.
It's related to the grue, I know that much.
kmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, fantasy