Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-06-2014, 01:22 PM   #1
Anvil

Default Racial Limited Magery

I am creating a mortal race descended from Jinn who are the aristocracy of a magocratic empire. I am having trouble pricing their limited magery however.

Full Magery will be limited to 3 for PCs and mortal NPCs.

The idea is that they have magery 0 for only the Fire college. (And a point in three spells from that college, but that's not important here) Single college magery is a -40% limitation, which would place it at 3 points, however they can buy their normal magery up to 3 and have an effective magery (fire) of 4. Should I be concerned that a single college magery (beyond the 0 level) would cost 6 points?

I'd like it to work out that the extra level of racial magery floats to the top of the pile and so to become a "maxed out" mage they pay 5 points for Magery 0 and 30 for the other three levels and have magery 4 for the fire college. If they buy no other magery I'm fine with their racial magery not providing a bonus to IQ for learning spells or any of that.

Any advice on pricing this properly would be appreciated.
Anvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:39 PM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: Racial Limited Magery

I would buy them Magery 1 (Fire only) and just say that if they don't get any real magery it acts as Magery 0 for fire spells only.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:43 PM   #3
Qhaysh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvil View Post
The idea is that they have magery 0 for only the Fire college. (And a point in three spells from that college, but that's not important here) Single college magery is a -40% limitation, which would place it at 3 points, however they can buy their normal magery up to 3 and have an effective magery (fire) of 4. Should I be concerned that a single college magery (beyond the 0 level) would cost 6 points?
I don't think you should, seeing as this is the RAW cost.

Quote:
I'd like it to work out that the extra level of racial magery floats to the top of the pile and so to become a "maxed out" mage they pay 5 points for Magery 0 and 30 for the other three levels and have magery 4 for the fire college. If they buy no other magery I'm fine with their racial magery not providing a bonus to IQ for learning spells or any of that.
There's no way you can price this with a single value. The players are going to have to decide if they want higher magery before they know what the template will actually cost...
Qhaysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:32 PM   #4
Jerander

[QUOTE=Anvil;1758885]I am creating a mortal race descended from Jinn who are the aristocracy of a magocratic empire. I am having trouble pricing their limited magery however.

Full Magery will be limited to 3 for PCs and mortal NPCs.

Quote:
Magery 0 is the RAW prereq for Magery 1. Even if both are Fire aspected. So the racial magery would be: Magery 0 (Single College, Fire, -40%) [3 ]+ Magery (Single College, Fire, -40%) would cost [6] = [9] total.

If they have unlimted Magery in addition to their racial magery, the Magery 0 (unlimited) would only cost an additional [2] to buy off the fire aspection. unlimited Magery 1-3 would still cost [10/level].

So a maxed out character would be Magery 0 [5] + Magery 3 [30] + Magery (Single College, Fire, -40%) [6] = [41] total.

Does that answer your question?
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:20 PM   #5
scc

You can't give a race Limited Magery 0, it simply doesn't work. If a member wants to learn more magic, they've got to work with the limitations that Magery comes with, or buy off the limitations
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:20 PM   #6
Anvil

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
You can't give a race Limited Magery 0, it simply doesn't work. If a member wants to learn more magic, they've got to work with the limitations that Magery comes with, or buy off the limitations
What of you want a race that can naturally cast spells from a single college, but without the advantages (and access to more powerful spells) that come from Magery 1, 2, 3, etc.? How else would you do it?
Old 05-06-2014, 05:37 PM   #7
scc

Quote:
What of you want a race that can naturally cast spells from a single college, but without the advantages (and access to more powerful spells) that come from Magery 1, 2, 3, etc.? How else would you do it?
This is Wizardly Dabbler from Magical Styples, p.33. It's a perk that allows you to cast a few spells without Magery or actually knowing the spells. Anything more then that would actually require Magery.

The problem with giving a RACE limited Magery 0 it that any actual Mages of that Race will have to buy of limitations on that Magery
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:39 PM   #8
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
This is Wizardly Dabbler from Magical Styples, p.33. It's a perk that allows you to cast a few spells without Magery or actually knowing the spells. Anything more then that would actually require Magery.

The problem with giving a RACE limited Magery 0 it that any actual Mages of that Race will have to buy of limitations on that Magery
And I think that's the actual point of the template. EVERY member of the race can cast spells from the Fire college, but, only those who spend extra points can do general Magery.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:50 PM   #9
Anvil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerander View Post
Magery 0 is the RAW prereq for Magery 1. Even if both are Fire aspected. So the racial magery would be: Magery 0 (Single College, Fire, -40%) [3 ]+ Magery (Single College, Fire, -40%) would cost [6] = [9] total.

If they have unlimted Magery in addition to their racial magery, the Magery 0 (unlimited) would only cost an additional [2] to buy off the fire aspection. unlimited Magery 1-3 would still cost [10/level].

So a maxed out character would be Magery 0 [5] + Magery 3 [30] + Magery (Single College, Fire, -40%) [6] = [41] total.

Does that answer your question?
I think I know what I need to do. I wasn't certain whether I would allow Magery to be bought up after character creation or not. I just won't allow it. The race will be required to have a level of Magery (single college, fire) as their highest level. I suppose I can make it a 0 point feature of the race.
As long as the point totals at character creation work out, it should be fine. And I can enforce Magery (single college, fire) as their "top level" fairly easily.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:53 PM   #10
jason taylor

This is a good time for having him be hiding his ancestry from persecutors(Secret), or have the hero not know his ancestry(delusion: I am a muggle).