Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-27-2015, 08:10 PM   #11
Kalzazz

Default Re: Running both Vanilla Magic and RPM?

I find that the two systems go together better than swimmingly. I have always disliked the Standard magic system, but after having seen how it interacts with RPM and the two flourish in the same setting I really like it much better

I've used a few silly little house rules of course, but I think that is common

One I particularly like is 'Magery 0 is Magery 0 is Magery 0', Magery 0 is the same for RPMists or Magic Mages, it defines 'yes, you are a mage' for purposes of using magic items, and allows mage sense and avoids the -5 penalty for non mages doing RPM

Other one is 'RPM Alchemy does not require Magery 0', Magic Magic alchemy doesn't require Magery, so I find it very grating that RPM Alchemy does. However, higher levels of Alchemy still require either RPM Magery, or RPM Magery, Alchemy Only (however, RPM Magery, Alchemy only isn't really a form of Magery, I just haven't come up with a better name for it, as someone who only has it registers as non magical to mage sense as a meteoric iron ingot))

If I ever got around to actually redoing and naming stuff, RPM Magery would become hmm, RPM Capacity or something, RPM Magery would be 'the 10 pt talent that adds to RPM spells' to line up with Magic Magery as 'the 10pt talent that adds to Magic Magic spells' (I currently allow 'the 10pt Talent which adds to RPM', I just name it 'RPM Talent')

The notion that RPM Magery and Magic Magic Magery both are named 'Magery' has really caused endless confusion among my compadres, especially as they do very different things . . . . I think that is actually far and away the biggest problem in using both systems side by side
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, rpm