Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-17-2006, 12:21 PM   #91
TheDS

Default Re: GURPS Ringworld 1,000,000 AD

I'd like to thank those who DID weigh in here, because I myself had a similar idea to Tom's, and I might've been just as pigheaded as he was in accepting "the truth", so I'll also have to thank Tom for being my unwitting proxy. ;)

Perhaps I could ask, what would be the LEAST magical way one could build a ringworld? For my own project, I scaled it down to an M8 dwarf (or somewhere in that vicinity) and a shell that was at just the right distance that it was about 300 Kelvins and about 1 G at the outer surface, but I fear even that isn't going to do it, that I'll be relegated to making a shell of spheres 1000 km in diameter, and people live inside those spheres. Billions of Earths's surfaces, in a star-shell only a million or so miles across, and buildable with material pesent in a solar system (I think).

I only brought that up as an example, such that we probably couldn't build the ring around a G2 star, or that it wouldn't look anything like a Niven ring, but rather a string of pearls or even a huge tube of spaghetti (there's a name for that, but I forget atm). Naturally, Tom would want wide open vistas, so these solutions wouldn't necessarily work for him, but how close can we come?

Visit (and LIKE) the new More in Sanity page at:
www.facebook.com/moreinsanity
TheDS is offline   Reply With Quote