Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 07-10-2019, 07:22 PM   #1
Mack_JB

Default Non-Ogre variant units?

I recall a file, or maybe a webpage, that listed a huge quantity of conventional non-Ogre units that were fan designed. I thought I'd saved it, or downloaded it, but can't find it anywhere. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

It would have had stats for all manner of variants of light tanks, medium tanks, tank destroyers, etc.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:53 PM   #2
wolf90

Default Re: Non-Ogre variant units?

Perhaps this page, and/or this one?

These (and more great stuff) are found here!

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:13 PM   #3
Mack_JB

Thanks Drew, those shall do the trick, but I recall a much larger download from someplace on the net, with a large array of really obscure stuff ...
Old 07-11-2019, 01:53 PM   #4
jfleisher

Maybe...

http://www.goingfaster.com/ogre/armor.html

My Ogre Miniatures Blog: http://ogreminiatures.blogspot.com
jfleisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:01 PM   #5
wolf90

Ahhh... Datapulse. One of my favorite sites!

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:18 PM   #6
Misplaced Buckeye

Maybe he's thinking of the stuff from Rogue Ogre on Flicker.
Misplaced Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:38 PM   #7
Mack_JB

So here's my dilemma, and I readily admit it's a case of "I have a hammer, where are some nails".

I noticed that "Historical Board Gaming" http://www.historicalboardgaming.com...x5_p_3091.html now sells the U.S. prototype T-28 super heavy tank in quantity, so I ordered a bunch, thinking it would make a great Tank Destroyer stand-in for Ogre.

One page Drew linked to above offers two options for a TD design:

Tank Destroyer (TD)
Source: unknown

Attack: 3
Range: 2 (4")
Defense: 2
Move: 4 (8")
Movement Mode: TNK
Size: 2

Has an engine as powerful as a Heavy Tank, but carries less armor and a lighter gun, giving it extra speed.

Tank Destroyer, v.2
Source: Paul O'Grady

Attack: 4
Range: 3 (6")
Defense: 1
Move: 3 (6")
Movement Mode: HVY
Size: 3

This vehicle is basically an Ogre main battery mounted on a lightly armored chassis to form a mobile gun. This vehicle became prevalent as many forces began using stopgap measures when combat losses began to exceed industrial capacity.

I suspect these sorts of units work far better with Ogre Miniatures rules, as opposed to hex map rules, but I'm trying to decide which one to use. Does anyone have any thoughts (good, bad, or indifferent)?
Old 07-17-2019, 07:52 PM   #8
wolf90

Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of either. Both seem underwhelming as a Tank Destroyer. The first is weaker strength, weaker defense, weaker movement mode and same range as a HVY, with the only benefit being an extra hex of movement. I'll take the HVY every time and twice on Sunday.

The second is a bit more balanced from a value perspective, and the increased range over a HVY (with the same movement) fits the concept of Tank killer, but the idea that a Tank Destroyer only has a defense of 1 seems ludicrous. Bumping the D to 2 is overvaluing it somewhat, and a D of 3 definitely sends it into a different stratosphere.

Another option that I might advance is the following:

Attack 3
Range 3
Defense 3
Move 3 (as HVY)
VP 6

This is slightly over-valued as well, but not as bad as the D2 version of the second option above, and it ticks the rest of the boxes - it has a 1:1 attack odds vs a HVY (A3 is equivalent to A4 vs a HVY) with the same movement (and mode), plus increased range, giving it first strike capability against the HVY.

Again, slightly over-valued, but potentially offset by limiting the number allowed in a game. YMMV.

D.

Last edited by wolf90; 07-17-2019 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:27 PM   #9
sparky00

I always thought the SHVY filled the role of tank destroyer. It seemed to be a descendant of the destroyers of WWII, at least in terms of design.
sparky00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:43 PM   #10
wolf90

Conceptually, I agree.

I just fall into the 15 VP (2.5 AU) camp in the debate on its value.

But yes, the SHVY is uniquely designed to destroy tanks on the battlefield.

D.