Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 07-16-2019, 03:38 AM   #1
Lawful

Default D E A D - Monster does not fight -> Wandering Monster possible?

So, the other day we were playing munchkin, and at some point in the game one of my munchkin friends uses POLLYMORPH POTION to take the treasure of a monster, to which he added a +5 and subsequently a +10, in order for him to take his treasure.

I could not allow just a situation to occur, so I used my ANNIHILATION card, just so that he wouldn't get the 7 treasures he was supposed to (original 4 + additional 3).

My friend, being what he is, complained a lot, and told me that the card was not in effect, however, me being the GM, protector of the munchkin rules, i did rule out the decision in my favor, considering that ANNIHILATION "cancels the card that the opponent had just played and has no effect".

After 7 minutes of fuss, he ultimately accepted the circumstances.

40 minutes passes, and a very similar situation occurs:
The same friend/foe;) fights another high-level monster (of 5 treasure and 2 levels). He couldn't beat it, so we just thought that he will just try to run away or try to annul the card. But he (re-)did the following: added +5 to the monster and another +10 so that the monster can have additional gold. I was thinking that either he will ask for someone's help or try to scheme something out. However, he did not give us a time of reaction, as he played the DEAD MONSTER DOES NOT FIGHT card immediately.

We were considered late for not playing a WANDERING MONSTER (which either one of my other munchkin friends or myself would play) by him, as he specified that the monster is dead, hence it does not fight, so there is no more combat, thus a wondering monster cannot be played. I was arguing that it still can be played. Although the monster was dead, it was not immediately discarded, because he was still in the combat-field and although the monster was-to-be discarded, we could still try to "play a hostile card on him" as the general rules specify.

So we were in a conflict on the rules for about 30 minutes. His view was supported by the cards, while mine were supported more or less by the rules. Him being stubborn, I allowed him to get his darn treasure and not get into combat with a WONDERING MONSTER.

Although http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=89296 was supposed to solve our conflict, we still couldn't agree on a consensus.

So, were we just supposed to stop him for a second when he played +5 and +10 to the monster, in order to unravel his scheme and put a WANDERING MONSTER then, or could we just use the WANDERING MONSTER after he used DEAD, MONSTER DOES NOT FIGHT?

PS: In the end, we won the game together. D:
Lawful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:00 AM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: D E A D - Monster does not fight -> Wandering Monster possible?

If all monsters are removed from a combat, the combat ends immediately. No further monsters can be added. This is a rule change as of a year or two ago.

In the first situation, if you played Annihilation on Pollymorph Potion, that sounds like a legal play to me.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote