Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-21-2018, 10:44 PM   #21
schoon

Default Re: Unskilled rolls

I hate to answer a question with a question, but...

In the rest of the new rules, will most modifiers result in a fixed modifier or a +/-dice.

I'd prefer the result that is more universal in the rest of the rules.

(The logical arguments both seem valid to me, so I'm going with KISS.)
schoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 03:33 AM   #22
pyratejohn

I prefer adjusting the number of dice. In my mind, that's one of the foundations TFT is built upon.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:00 AM   #23
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
I think your statement is Ok, but I'd probably say "at least 1 more die, if he thinks it's reasonable."
The really short rule and "if he thinks it's reasonable" part is important by the way. The complex (and fixed value and skill to skill) default rules are IMO one of GURPS bigger flaws. If you're spending more than a few minutes and a couple sentences on an equivalent for TFT, you're probably overdoing it.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:08 AM   #24
CJM

Could you do this? For every IQ point you need to spend on a talent is the number of extra dice you have to roll to try it untrained? For example; Acrobatics cost 3 would = 3 extra dice. Sword (2) = 2 extra, Crossbow (1) = 1...Don't know if anyone has suggested this yet...but it might work. I enjoy using extra dice, the guys I role play with seem to really like it as well. Hope you keep it :-)
CJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:23 PM   #25
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJM View Post
Could you do this? For every IQ point you need to spend on a talent is the number of extra dice you have to roll to try it untrained? For example; Acrobatics cost 3 would = 3 extra dice. Sword (2) = 2 extra, Crossbow (1) = 1...Don't know if anyone has suggested this yet...but it might work. I enjoy using extra dice, the guys I role play with seem to really like it as well. Hope you keep it :-)
That's a really interesting idea there (though I'd find it amusing to see how someone roleplayed a failure at Acrobatics, as opposed to just saying "you can't do it"); I hope Steve reads it!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:15 PM   #26
CJM

Thanks, I hope he does to. I always like giving my players a chance even though it is highly unlikely that they will succeed.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:20 PM   #27
Chris Rice

Quote:
That's a neat idea and it might work for many Talents. However, it should only be allowed for the "base level" of a Talent; no +2d to try Unarmed Combat IV for example. I also don't like it for Literacy and how would it work with things like Shield?
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:26 PM   #28
zot

Quote:
How would prerequisites figure into that, would the points all add together? One example I can think of would be attempting to defend bare-handed, which comes from Unarmed Combat III. There are other capabilities granted by talents with prerequisites but UC III came to mind first.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:33 PM   #29
Skarg

I like both dice and modifiers and don't have a problem rolling extra dice, or remembering or doing the math with modifiers.

However I think it's important to take into account that modifiers are mechanically different from extra dice in ways that have significant effects. Modifiers allow more precision, and in TFT a difference of one or two points can make a huge difference. More dice have a different distribution curve and range, too. And 2-die rolls have a very limited range (unless you adopt an "exploding dice" mechanic which I doubt is what's wanted for basic TFT). And you need solid rules for crit success & failure with whatever number of dice you end up rolling (and that can start to be hard even for me to remember, though I don't mind referring to a table).
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 03:02 PM   #30
CJM

Hey Chris, I believe you are right about the base talent. But that would make sense as someone wouldn't be able to do something at an expert level just using their base attribute, it's just to high a level to reach. I think some talents would be difficult to make it work...I was thinking after I posted it... while I was making my kids sandwiches the same thing:-) But as I think about It, I think it would work... if you are untalented at shield and the PC is in combat, picks it up off the ground to us it he/she needs to make a DX roll to do so. Something like that? As far as literacy goes it would probably have to be up to the GM to make the call if what is trying to be read was something the players would have any chance of understanding, like a similar langue or a modern langue that is common for the area.