Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-11-2018, 08:37 PM   #1
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Default Interviewing the Fans #3

How will you convince your new-to-TFT friends to give it a try?
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:11 PM   #2
Shostak

Default Re: Interviewing the Fans #3

"The Thorz Wants You" t-shirts.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:30 PM   #3
Buzzardo

I have two game groups. The weekly GURPS group will try it in a flash, the more so because three of us remember it from Way Back When. The casual group might try it once, because two of us are role-players. I doubt it'll gain traction with that group (but I could be wrong).

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:34 PM   #4
JLV

Well, the technique I've used in the past is to show them the game, talk about it for about five minutes, and ask them if they want to create a character, just to see how easy it is.

Most of them recoil in horror at that point (remember, most of the RPGs they are already playing require up to several HOURS to create a character). Then I make a bet with them. If they can't put together a basic warrior character in ten minutes or less, I'll pay them a buck. Then, when I've won that bet, I bet them another dollar they can put together a beginning Wizard in 15 minutes. After that, we play an arena battle or two. And after that I tell them we can use the system to play a full-up Fantasy RPG. And then tell them to set up their characters to start an adventure, and then run them through something like Death Test for starters. I haven't actually lost any money yet...

The best part? The learning process, complete with arena games and Death Test, takes less time than it takes to set up a character in most other RPGs. (I track the time, so I can SHOW them how much easier the game is -- and the fun of the Arenas/Death Test shows them that it's not a trivial game.)

Since that process has worked pretty well in the past, I probably won't change it much, though having the nice new shiny components will undoubtedly help in the initial "catch their attention" part of the drill! ;-)

You know what I'd really like though? If you could include an introductory "scenario" designed as a "teach the basics quickly" exercise in the big book (AW/AM/ITL) when you launch it (or as a special addition, sort of like you did with the Rat King thing in GURPS: Dungeon Fantasy). That would make the process of grabbing new players even easier!

Last edited by JLV; 06-11-2018 at 09:39 PM.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:42 PM   #5
Buzzardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Well, the technique I've used in the past is to show them the game, talk about it for about five minutes, and ask them if they want to create a character, just to see how easy it is.
I'll pre-generate a herd of characters for folks. I do it for new GURPS players, so it won't be a problem for TFT characters.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:45 PM   #6
larsdangly

Throw a battle mat on the table, throw a case of beer in the corner and challenge everyone there to a fight to the death.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:18 PM   #7
Rick_Smith

Hi all,
Run a game at a convention. Enough people like my games that I never have trouble getting players.

Rick
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:41 PM   #8
Jim Kane
Banned

The only real sure-fire way to convince people to try TFT is to simply already have the respect and trust of those whom you would offer to introduce the game to. The transfer of *honest* enthusiasm and the need of truly wanting to share good things with others is what translates into: Sales, Converts, Inductees, or whatever you want to consider them as.

By picking up on your *honest enthusiasm* is the only big *convincing* thing you need to have happen; where these people now become so eager to share the wonders you have in your hand, that they "pull" to convince you to share with them; created with your *natural and honest enthusiasm* - based on decades long dedication to this very special system, over all others. This will shine through *naturally and honestly*, and these people will ideally end-up pulling on you, in an attempt to convince you to share the game with them - not the other way around.

This is known as: "Turning The Prospect Into The Salesman", and if your honest enthusiasm, and deep dedication and knowledge of TFT doesn't create an urgency on it's own - where the people are instead asking *you* to show and share the game with them - then there are a few things wrong with the salesman.

It really is that simple.

Ideally, if you really know TFT for what it is by the core-essence of the TFT experience - beyond a product with a set of rules - and you believe in this system with all your honest heart, there is no need to convince.

If a person doesn't have that already - and it can't be faked or learnt - any detected or suspected lack of a true relationship with, deep knowledge of, and respect for, based on years of dedication to the TFT product... will give off a stench of insincerity - and of such magnitude - as to be apparent to everyone but the person trying to convince with empty words and an empty heart.

Bottom Line: You sell TFT with your heart; and with a real desire to share the joy of good things which you truly believe will enrich the lives of others - and you know it to be true, because you have lived it for decades.

JK

Last edited by Jim Kane; 06-11-2018 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Typo
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:01 PM   #9
GlennDoren

I recently went through this with a buddy, explaining "I loved this game as a kid, and it still holds up!" I think the ramp up time was still a little clunky because I failed to explain the rules in a fluid/quick way.

It would be great if you could present a good "starter"/tutorial microquest... something that includes a "how to make your characters" run-through. Or, perhaps just present ready-made character templates that are recommended for the starter quest. Just name 'em and start playing.

But definitely having a starter microquest that could be played solo or co-op would be ideal. Saves me from having to stumble through a poor explanation of the game ;)
GlennDoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:50 AM   #10
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
How will you convince your new-to-TFT friends to give it a try?
Play it as an open table at my FLGS, of course. In all seriousness, just put it on the schedule, and see who shows up.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote