Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-03-2020, 02:53 PM   #1
Icelander

Default [RPM] Power Talents Adding to Paths?

In a setting with both Magery for Ritual Path Magic and supernatural Powers with the Magical limitation, should I allow Power Talents to add to appropriate Path skills or rituals?

For example, if a character has Magery and also some spirit-related Powers, if he takes a Spirit Control Power Talent, should the Power Talent add to his Path of Spirit rolls?

I'm concerned that if not, there is little incentive to take a Power Talent, especially as most of his Magic-as-Abilities are things that don't take a standard success roll, such as an ability to perceive and converse with spirits, spirit allies, etc.

On the other hand, I don't want to alter any fundamental balancing poles of the Ritual Path Magic system, so before I make a judgment on this, I'd at least like to understand what is meant to be the rule and why.
Old 03-03-2020, 03:26 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: [RPM] Power Talents Adding to Paths?

To a single Path? I'm ok with it for what thats worth.
Comparable to Single College Magery IMO
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 03:26 PM   #3
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
In a setting with both Magery for Ritual Path Magic and supernatural Powers with the Magical limitation, should I allow Power Talents to add to appropriate Path skills or rituals?

For example, if a character has Magery and also some spirit-related Powers, if he takes a Spirit Control Power Talent, should the Power Talent add to his Path of Spirit rolls?

I'm concerned that if not, there is little incentive to take a Power Talent, especially as most of his Magic-as-Abilities are things that don't take a standard success roll, such as an ability to perceive and converse with spirits, spirit allies, etc.

On the other hand, I don't want to alter any fundamental balancing poles of the Ritual Path Magic system, so before I make a judgment on this, I'd at least like to understand what is meant to be the rule and why.
I don't see an issue. If there is a problem increase the cost of the Power Talent by one per Path skill affected and be done with it.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 03:51 PM   #4
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
To a single Path? I'm ok with it for what thats worth.
Comparable to Single College Magery IMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
I don't see an issue. If there is a problem increase the cost of the Power Talent by one per Path skill affected and be done with it.
I think I'll allow it to add to the Path of Spirit without adjusting cost, as at present, I can't figure out what other things the Power Talent would add to anyway.

Detect (Spirits) is obvious, but the character still hasn't taken it. Medium and See Invisible (Spirits) don't come with success rolls by default and although I guess I could require normal Vision rolls to spot spirits, it's not as if all that many of them will be bothering to hide from someone not even in their world.

As far as I know, Power Talent doesn't apply to rolls that your Allies or Contacts make, even if those happen to be spirits, and I'm not sure Power Talent should add to resistance rolls beyond what Resistant (Spirit Powers)* gives.

Also, even your spirit buddy grants you Daredevil, I'm pretty sure you shouldn't get an extra +1 to +4 bonus to everything you do that is risky just because you try to fit it under the Spirit Control Talent. Same goes for other abilities justified by allegiances with spirits, but which really are general purpose special abilities.

*Because that would seem to give a perverse incentive to only pay for the +3 level, as the 'free' bonus from Talent is a bigger deal there than if you have +8 or total Immunity. Still, maybe that's not a big problem in this case, given how few things Power Talents apply to for this particular character. Are Power Talents supposed to add to resistance rolls if you have Resistant within the field where your Talent applies?
Old 03-03-2020, 04:38 PM   #5
Refplace

Quote:
Detect (Spirits) is obvious, but the character still hasn't taken it. Medium and See Invisible (Spirits) don't come with success rolls by default and although I guess I could require normal Vision rolls to spot spirits, it's not as if all that many of them will be bothering to hide from someone not even in their world.

As far as I know, Power Talent doesn't apply to rolls that your Allies or Contacts make, even if those happen to be spirits, and I'm not sure Power Talent should add to resistance rolls beyond what Resistant (Spirit Powers)* gives.
In this case it should add to resistance rolls vs. a Channeled spirit as described for Shamanic Talent in Thaumatology.
Also Vision bonuses are pretty useless for Medium as it specifics they must be nearby. No definition but I use with 10y myself, not much of a penalty, especially since they have to want you to notice them so would be in plain sight.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 03-03-2020, 11:17 PM   #6
dataweaver

If your Spirit Control had a Power Modifier that involves Requires Reaction Roll, then it's possible that your Power Talent would add to that Reaction Roll. This might make it worthwhile in and of itself.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:36 AM   #7
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
In this case it should add to resistance rolls vs. a Channeled spirit as described for Shamanic Talent in Thaumatology.
Also Vision bonuses are pretty useless for Medium as it specifics they must be nearby. No definition but I use with 10y myself, not much of a penalty, especially since they have to want you to notice them so would be in plain sight.
Indeed, I don't see many success rolls involved with Medium. Just Reaction Rolls and interaction of the kind that Power Talents are not usually assumed to affect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
If your Spirit Control had a Power Modifier that involves Requires Reaction Roll, then it's possible that your Power Talent would add to that Reaction Roll. This might make it worthwhile in and of itself.
That's a good point.

Do others agree that it should work that way?
Old 03-05-2020, 09:19 AM   #8
WingedKagouti

Quote:
If you're talking Magery + Power Talent applying to the same skill/spell roll, consider whether that will be beyond what you'd allow for Magery alone.
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:23 AM   #9
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
If you're talking Magery + Power Talent applying to the same skill/spell roll, consider whether that will be beyond what you'd allow for Magery alone.
In Ritual Path Magic, Magery doesn't add to Path skills or Thaumatology, it establishes a cap.

It's true that allowing Power Talents to combine with various Talents that might affect certain Paths of magic allows for much higher skill levels, but as I want specialized casters who have Talents as a result of symbiotic relationships with various occult forces to be the main powerful spellcasters, I think that's a feature, not a bug.
Old 03-05-2020, 11:33 AM   #10
Refplace

Quote:

That's a good point.

Do others agree that it should work that way?
I'd say no for a 5 point Power Talent, but merged with a 5 point regular one? Sure.
My GURPS Wiki entries

Tags
power talent, powers as magic, rpm