Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-08-2019, 12:59 PM   #33
Skarg

Default Re: Modern Heros

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Keep in mind, however that you are using the same system to simulate two entirely different sets of people and circumstances. Thus, the modern warrior doesn't really have to worry about lugging 60lbs of gear INTO combat (or swinging a 15lb sword for half an hour once he gets there) -- he just has to worry about getting his extraneous equipment (tent half, mess kit, blanket, spare socks, and your half of the roll of barbed wire) to the general area. When you're actually fighting, depending on circumstances of course, you spend most of your time prone or crawling, aiming your rifle from some kind of supported position, and otherwise NOT doing medieval warrior stuff. Once the shooting started, we generally dropped packs and crap and went with our webbing (with whatever was attached to it, usually first aid pouch, canteen, spare magazines, a knife, and maybe a few grenades), weapon, and helmet/armor (all of which totals up to considerably less than 60lbs of junk -- even with a full canteen)
Yes, I get that.

Hcobb's ST 15 was him as usual extrapolating from the letter of the rules, and using a reference to a real-world 152 pound load.

To which I would say:

* ITL itself points out that its system is a baseline, not to let its suggestions lead you to results you feel/know are wrong, and that it matters how you carry stuff.

* The ITL weights themselves do not map well to real-world weights in many cases, for example that 15-pound sword you mentioned.

* Seems to me the solution to the encumbrance issue would not be to give every soldier ST 15, but to develop a more sophisticated encumbrance system, and/or better weight values. Maybe you need ST 15 to carry a 150-pound weight around in your arms, but loaded properly with a well-designed pack so the weight is balanced and largely born by your skeleton, not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Likewise, people today are quite a bit better educated than even your most well-educated medieval monk or sage, so an IQ of 11 doesn't seem to me to be particularly out of line. DX is probably pretty close, assuming you had an active childhood and didn't spend all your time in front of a video game console.
So you're talking about IQ including experience and saying if an uneducated medieval person might often be IQ 8, the modern equivalent by comparison would get +2-3 IQ for public education, etc?

I can see the logic of that. However that's kind of like defining modern Americans as being a race with min IQ 10, or with an advantage or talent that effectively gives them +2-3 IQ over medieval humans... which is a different context than I was thinking of. I was wanting to keep the usual TFT scale where 10 is average and so a fairly large number of people are IQ 8-9, and I don't think a large portion of the population can't be trained to use a modern rifle, hence my original questioning of a min IQ 11 guns talent.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote