Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-22-2018, 08:00 PM   #1
tbeard1999

Default Sample High Level Combat Talents

The proposed limit on extra attribute points pretty much shoots the "outrageous attribute" problem in the head, particularly if GMs adhere to Steve's suggested ~100 xp per session. (A 32 point character would require 44-66 sessions to get to 40 points).

(As an aside, I wonder if the proposed xp costs are too high. In classic TFT, you could get to 40 points with 1500 xp, or about 15 sessions. It takes FAR longer now.)

The ability to buy talents for relatively small amounts of XP seems to satisfy the "PCs can't have enough talents" folks, although I wonder if the cost is too low.

I'm not necessarily opposed to high level combat talents. However, I'd completely avoid talents that effectively increase a figure's DX - this would include DX bonuses, reductions in DX penalties for armor, and reductions in the number of dice rolled to hit.

Such talents will bring back the outrageous attribute problem.

I wouldn't object to talents that increase weapon damage ala Fencing (though I'd replace Fencing, with a more straightforward talent.) Examples (specific numbers are highly tentative and have NOT been playtested):

Expert 1 Handed Swordsman (IQ 10?; 2-3 talent points? AdjDX 12+ required? Works with ST10+ 1 handed swords.)
  • +2 damage
  • Figure can ready and use a weapon in the same turn
  • Figure gets 2 attacks, with the second at -2 DX.

Expert 2 Handed Swordsman (IQ 10?; 2-3 talent points? AdjDX 12+ required?)
  • +3 damage
  • Figure gets 2 attacks, with the second at -2 DX.
  • Figure can make sweeping attacks at -2 DX.

Master 1 Handed Swordsman (IQ 10?; 2-3 talent points? AdjDX 14+ required? Requires Expert 1 Handed Swordsman; Works with ST10+ 1 handed swords.)
  • +3 damage
  • Figure can make 2 attacks, with no DX penalty.

Master 2 Handed Swordsman (IQ 10?; 2-3 talent points? AdjDX 14+ required? Requires Expert 2 Handed Swordsman)
  • +4 damage
  • Figure can make 2 attacks, with no DX penalty.
  • Figure can make sweeping attacks with no DX penalty.

Expert 1 Handed Axe/Mace (IQ 10?; 2-3 talent points? AdjDX 12+ required?)
  • +3 damage
  • Morningstars and flails ignore shields

Expert 2 Handed Axe/Mace (IQ 10?; 2-3 talent points? AdjDX 12+ required?)
  • +4 damage

Master 1 Handed Axe/Mace (IQ 10?; 2-3 talent points? AdjDX 12+ required?)
  • +4 damage
  • BASH - ignore armor (but not shield) when determining the effect of hits taken on a target (i.e. to take a DX penalty or get knocked down).

Master 2 Handed Axe/Mace (IQ 10?; 2-3 talent points? AdjDX 12+ required?)
  • +5 damage
  • BASH - ignore armor (but not shield) when determining the effect of hits taken on a target (i.e. to take a DX penalty or get knocked down).

I might replace Fencing with these:

Expert Fencer (IQ 10?; 2-3 talent points? AdjDX 14+ required?; works with daggers, rapiers and maybe cutlasses; choose one of the attack options)
  • +1 damage
  • Figure can ready and use a dagger, main gauche, rapier OR cutlass in the same turn
  • Can use a cloak (or almost anything) as an improvised small shield
  • Main Gauche Attack - can make a main gauche attack after the main weapon attack at no DX penalty or use the main gauche as a small shield with no DX penalty.
  • Attack Flurry - Can make two attacks at no DX modifier.
  • Precision Attack (rapier or dagger only) - Armor stops 2 hits less than normal. Shields work normally.

Master Fencer (IQ 10?; 2-3 talent points? AdjDX 16+ required?; works with daggers, rapiers and maybe cutlasses)
  • +2 damage
  • Figure can ready and use any two weapons - dagger, main gauche, rapier or cutlass in the same turn
  • Can use a cloak (or almost anything) as an improvised small shield
  • Main Gauche Attack - can make a main gauche attack after the main weapon attack at no DX penalty or use the main gauche as a small shield with no DX penalty.
  • Attack Flurry - Can make three attacks at no DX modifier.
  • Precision Attack (rapier or dagger only) - Armor and shields stop 3 hits less than normal. The combined protection is reduced, so a target with Half Plate and a large shield would stop 3 points of damage.

A version of Expert/Master fencer can be bought for knives only. Half the IQ cost but they only work with daggers and the damage bonus is +0 for expert and +1 for master. Includes the knowledge of how to throw the knife.

Damage bonuses can be converted to dice if desired (i.e., 3 points of damage = 1d6).

You can impose DX penalties on opponents trying to hit Experts or Masters, but I'd be careful and make the penalties very modest. The 3d6 bell curve is extremely sensitive to modifiers.

Last edited by tbeard1999; 06-22-2018 at 09:13 PM.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote