Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-09-2013, 06:46 AM   #131
Langy

Default Re: [RPM] a collection of questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
That's an actual spell I'd think with a month duration. Probably using charm rules for the bracelet itself.
Yeah. That'd just be the kind of Charm that breaks upon being disabled.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:59 AM   #132
A Ladder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Sure. I'm curious, are you reading the rules from GURPS Monster Hunters 1: Champions, or the newer ones from GURPS Thaumatology: Ritual Path Magic?

Not exactly -- it allows you to take multiple Concentrate maneuvers each turn, which amounts to basically the same thing.
Just from MH. I don't know if I want to get T:RPM yet.

How would you price Compartmentalized Mind (Gather energy for spells only) at?

Another question: I don't know if this is covered in T:RPM or not, how is energy reserve handled? Is it like FP where you have to expend 3 FP to get 1 energy point for a spell? How would you price Energy Reserve (Mana Pool [or whatever its called])?
A Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:04 AM   #133
Langy

Energy Reserve is handled just like the energy you get from Magery. That is, 1 ER for 1 energy.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:12 AM   #134
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Yeah. That'd just be the kind of Charm that breaks upon being disabled.
Yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Ladder View Post
But it's realllyyyy goood. ;-)

Quote:
I'd use the following:

Limited, All Gathering rolls for one Path skill, -50% (add 5% per additional Path covered)

Quote:
Another question: I don't know if this is covered in T:RPM or not, how is energy reserve handled? Is it like FP where you have to expend 3 FP to get 1 energy point for a spell? How would you price Energy Reserve (Mana Pool [or whatever its called])?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Energy Reserve is handled just like the energy you get from Magery. That is, 1 ER for 1 energy.
What Langy said.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #135
Gnome

Is there a limit on the number of spells I can have "on" at a time, meaning currently in duration (as opposed to conditional spells for which there is a limit)? I ask because it seems to me that a "buffer" mage is ridiculously powerful in this system. Every month, I can fit my entire party with month-long versions of every different spell effect I can think of, with Stacking Spells being the only limitation on number.
This was an issue for us when we played Monster Hunters. The entire party was constantly outfitted with a "mega-ward" that works against everything, a few rituals that gave us long-term bonuses to key skills, a few more bonuses that made us all extra lucky, extra fast, extra smart, etc., etc. The Witch quickly became the most vital member of the party, turning the rest of us into superheroes (even more so than we already were), and the GM eventually had to put an artificial limit on "spells on."
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #136
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
Is there a limit on the number of spells I can have "on" at a time, meaning currently in duration (as opposed to conditional spells for which there is a limit)? I ask because it seems to me that a "buffer" mage is ridiculously powerful in this system. Every month, I can fit my entire party with month-long versions of every different spell effect I can think of, with Stacking Spells being the only limitation on number.
This was an issue for us when we played Monster Hunters. The entire party was constantly outfitted with a "mega-ward" that works against everything, a few rituals that gave us long-term bonuses to key skills, a few more bonuses that made us all extra lucky, extra fast, extra smart, etc., etc. The Witch quickly became the most vital member of the party, turning the rest of us into superheroes (even more so than we already were), and the GM eventually had to put an artificial limit on "spells on."
Stacking spells is a huge limitation if you're doing it right. If you're combining multiple bonuses into a single spell that's handled by the increased energy cost and the fact that another spell can knock it down with enough energy.

Become a Patron!
Old 10-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #137
munin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
…Limited, All Gathering rolls for one Path skill, -50% (add 5% per additional Path covered) …
That seems very generous compared to the guidelines in Psionic Powers (p. 13). Gathering energy is pretty much all you do with Compartmentalized Mind in RPM, so:

"Limited, Magic" would be -5% (or -10% if you have other powers from other sources you could be using it for).

"Limited, One Path" would probably be comparable to "Limited, One [Psionic] Power", so -20%.

"Limited, Specific Ritual" would probably be comparable to "Limited, One Ability", so -30%.
munin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:39 AM   #138
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by munin View Post
That seems very generous compared to the guidelines in Psionic Powers (p. 13). Gathering energy is pretty much all you do with Compartmentalized Mind in RPM, so:

"Limited, Magic" would be -5% (or -10% if you have other powers from other sources you could be using it for).

"Limited, One Path" would probably be comparable to "Limited, One [Psionic] Power", so -20%.

"Limited, Specific Ritual" would probably be comparable to "Limited, One Ability", so -30%.
It's in no way comparative to psi powers, psi powers have a specific number of limited effects...ritual path magic doesn't. It's not infinite, but close. You could chop off 10% if you wanted, but -10% for gathering attempts is about right.

Become a Patron!
Old 10-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #139
Terwin

Quote:
Unless you are already using -4 to gather energy in 1 second, probably the best route would be to bump the skill by a point to get the same effect as using an extra concentrate maneuver.

At worst that would be 30 points(+1 IQ [20] and +1 magery [10]), as a bonus it would give you +1 to everything else IQ based and +3 ER as well.

If you have not maxed out the 15 point RPM talent or your GM allows IQ![10], it gets even cheaper.

Of course if you have Path(Magic) at 26 or better, you may be able to stick mostly to using your energy reserve and re-fill it instantly with a few gather rolls against 16 in 0 time.
Terwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:17 PM   #140
PK

Quote:
I thought so. Everything you've been asking about is stuff that I didn't have room to expand upon in MH1. In T:RPM, every question you've asked so far has been fully covered.

Quote:
Compartmentalized Mind (Limited, Ritual Path magic, -10%; No Mental Separation, -20%) [35/level].

Quote:
Energy Reserve (Mana Reserve) costs 3 points/level and directly increases your mana reserve. In T:RPM, your mana reserve is equal to (3 x Magery) + Energy Reserve (Mana Reserve). It's rarely a good deal compared to just buying more Magery, though, but it does make more sense than Magery when you're looking to combine it with certain limitations.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, monster hunters, ritual path magic, rpm