Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 04-30-2019, 12:20 PM   #1
hcobb

Default Modern Heros

https://www.popularmechanics.com/mil...oldier-weight/
"An average Marine Corps infantry officer should to be physically able to carry 152 lbs. for nine miles."

Therefore the average USMC officer is going to be like say

ST 15 DX 14(10) IQ 13 MA 4
150 pounds of stuff that includes 16 pounds of body armor (weighs like leather, protects body (but not limbs) with six points of armor and ten additional hit points.)
5 weapon skills, UC I, Tactics, Strategist, Thrown Weapons, Missile Weapons II, Diving, etc.

Half of them are better than this.

This 42 attribute 32200 XP human is only three standard deviations from "average American".

Last edited by hcobb; 04-30-2019 at 12:49 PM.
hcobb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 03:19 PM   #2
FireHorse

Default Re: Modern Heros

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
This 42 attribute 32200 XP human is only three standard deviations from "average American".
"Only"…? Three standard deviations is pretty much as far as you can go. The remaining top 0.135% are probably Ninjas, or Demigods or something.

Or Mnoren.

Last edited by FireHorse; 04-30-2019 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Afterthought
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:36 AM   #3
warhorse11h

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
https://www.popularmechanics.com/mil...oldier-weight/
"An average Marine Corps infantry officer should to be physically able to carry 152 lbs. for nine miles."

Therefore the average USMC officer is going to be like say

ST 15 DX 14(10) IQ 13 MA 4
150 pounds of stuff that includes 16 pounds of body armor (weighs like leather, protects body (but not limbs) with six points of armor and ten additional hit points.)
5 weapon skills, UC I, Tactics, Strategist, Thrown Weapons, Missile Weapons II, Diving, etc.

Half of them are better than this.

Please note, the above described individual is going to pop the quick release straps on his ruck the moment bullets start to fly, reducing his load to his armor, two canteens, weapons and ammo in magazines. At least one hundred pounds of that carried weight is going to be gone while he fights.

Skills for the above officer are also not fully talents, at least until he's got a few operational deployments under his belt. He won't have strategist to start and tactics will only be what he learned at the schoolhouse, not what actually works. That's why he'll be paired up with a crusty old platoon sergeant or first sergeant just to keep him from doing dumb stuff.

He would have marksmanship, but not five weapons talents. Most weapons used by modern military make use of the same fundamentals for firing them. Shooting is a talent, not five.

Diving and Missile weapons II, maybe, but not likely until he goes to additional training, if he proves himself worthy of the investment.

Last edited by warhorse11h; 05-01-2019 at 10:45 AM.
warhorse11h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:09 AM   #4
KevinJ

Who wants to stat out an Eagle Scout?
Old 05-01-2019, 11:12 AM   #5
KevinJ

I would say 2 or three weapon talents, Rifle and Pistol are NOT the same thing, and knife.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:27 AM   #6
warhorse11h

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
I would say 2 or three weapon talents, Rifle and Pistol are NOT the same thing, and knife.
Both pistol and rifle involve the same set of fundamentals for accurate fire at any range other than extremely short pistol shots (7 meters or less) and of course, obtaining a good spot weld on the stock of the long gun. But, what would I know about it, I've only been shooting both long and short guns for over 40 years.

The above comment is too antagonistic, so let me adjust by saying, I do agree with you that a pistol and a rifle, or for that matter, a light or heavy machine gun, are not all the same thing. By the same token, they are not different enough to require each to be thought of as a separate talent.

Further, I think your assessment of the talents for this mythical modern hero is just about right. We may differ over the specific talents, but close enough for government work.

Last edited by warhorse11h; 05-01-2019 at 11:43 AM.
warhorse11h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:33 AM   #7
hcobb

So say Knife, pistol, rifle, rifle mounted grenade launcher and one of light anti-tank or vehicle mounted weapon?
Old 05-01-2019, 02:20 PM   #8
KevinJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse11h View Post
Both pistol and rifle involve the same set of fundamentals for accurate fire at any range other than extremely short pistol shots (7 meters or less) and of course, obtaining a good spot weld on the stock of the long gun. But, what would I know about it, I've only been shooting both long and short guns for over 40 years.
I think rifles, carbines, shotguns, and shoulder/bipod fired MGs (M249 or M240) would all fall into the same Rifle Talent, but SMG and pistol have different handling and that is why I would put them in a different Talent. In MOUT training I found the M-16A1 and A2 to be unwieldy where the pistol was easier to employ.

I would put tripod and vehicle mounted MGs into the Heavy Weapon Talent, since they are used differently in combat. You don't advance carrying a tripod mounted MG and most vehicle mounted MGs do not have shoulder stocks.

One thing to remember is that TFT is supposed to be simple. If you want it more com,plex you play GURPS.