Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-02-2018, 01:09 PM   #1
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default GURPS News updated

I've published the December 2017 update to the GURPS News. Yes, it's technically two days late . . . I was taking some time off! Don't forget that you can also subscribe via email.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 02:02 PM   #2
demonsbane

Default Re: GURPS News updated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I was taking some time off!
Hope you took good advantage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GURPS News
We added 48 more GURPS PDFs on DriveThruRPG in December. These are existing publications – not new ones – but if you normally shop at DTRPG, you'll welcome the additions.
Maybe some of these PDF releases would have even better sales if they had a Print on Demand option from DriveThruRPG?

However maybe this isn't a good idea with SJG handling GURPS PoD editions with CreateSpace instead, and there may be some incompatibility or something.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:02 AM   #3
voodoo54

Kromm,
This is the second time I'm aware of in your updates that you have mentioned PK is up to something big. Can you give us some hints?
voodoo54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:29 PM   #4
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo54 View Post
Kromm,
This is the second time I'm aware of in your updates that you have mentioned PK is up to something big. Can you give us some hints?
It seems PK is always up to something big.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:22 PM   #5
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane View Post
However maybe this isn't a good idea with SJG handling GURPS PoD editions with CreateSpace instead, and there may be some incompatibility or something.
My experience, not SJGs with DriveThruRPG:

The interior file I prepared according to the DTRPG guidelines did not work with CreateSpace. The interior files created with CreateSpace work fine with DriveThru.

The covers, however, are different. LightningSource/DriveThru requires a blank box on the back cover so they can put their own bar code on it. CreateSpace uses the native ISBN/Bar Code that the customer provides. DriveThru also uses a special template.

For my own stuff, I have taken to creating two covers (one with a blank white box on the back, the other with my ISBN bar code in it) or even three (because I no longer use CreateSpace after some truly horrible short print runs, and Publisher's Graphics uses different paper thicknesses, sometimes) and then ensuring that the internal margin requirements of the document meet CreateSpace's worse tolerances (meaning they force live text farther from the border and edge of the page).

In any case, they're not 100% identical, which is annoying.

The cost per copy for CreateSpace (and PubGraphics, for that matter) is MUCH less than DriveThru (which itself is higher than the same book direct from LightningSource).

For a 62-page full-color softback with bleed, CreateSpace is $5.19, PubGraphics is about $6.00, and DriveThru is $8.77 - there's a significant price premium (and therefore profit loss for the publisher) using DriveThru for POD (though less than Lulu or other venues).
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:34 PM   #6
JMason

Hm... I hope this is just me reading too much into things again, but this:

Quote:
With the release of the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game, Dungeon Fantasy GM Screen, and Dungeon Fantasy Companion, this section has almost outlived its usefulness – don't expect to see it for too much longer.
Reads to me like, "Sorry folks, sales weren't there so we won't be doing anymore DFRPG products. Don't expect to see any."

I hope I'm wrong.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:41 PM   #7
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMason View Post
Hm... I hope this is just me reading too much into things again, but this:

Reads to me like, "Sorry folks, sales weren't there so we won't be doing anymore DFRPG products. Don't expect to see any."

I hope I'm wrong.
That was in the upcoming hiints so Im not worried about it yet,
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:46 AM   #8
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMason View Post
You could also read it "Production is going to be at a predictably lower pace now that all the up-front stuff is out, so it no longer warrants a full section of its own."
Old 01-04-2018, 07:29 AM   #9
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

I'd read my note on the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game news more like this: "The Kickstarter campaign is over and we've delivered everything to backers. I'll keep this section around just until non-backers can buy everything from the campaign." Nothing more than that.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:33 AM   #10
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I'd read my note on the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game news more like this: "The Kickstarter campaign is over and we've delivered everything to backers. I'll keep this section around just until non-backers can buy everything from the campaign." Nothing more than that.
Just to pile on, again from personal experience:

There's nothing more frustrating for a Kickstarter backer than to have things promised that are simply not delivered. Second in the irked category is delivered but late, with no visible progress being communicated.

By highlighting "we said we'd give these things, and we're highlighting them to hold ourselves accountable for when we do what we say," SJG is just being a good corporate/Kickstarter citizen. Once the DFRPG is "just another product," albeit an awesome one, priorities and announcement style can return to normal.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote