Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 10-25-2017, 09:28 AM   #1
LokRobster

Default 3x Scale Car Wars Hex Map [GURPS Autoduel]

Not sure how much use this is to others, but I figured I'd share.

If you play Car Wars with Hot Wheels scale cars, 3 times the size of Car Wars Classic (or right on par for Car Wars 5e), you might find these calculations useful for creating hexagon maps. I mainly was looking for a good hex map to run pedestrians in GURPS combat when drivers step out of their cars and into a Dungeon. Or warehouse, or office building or mall... It's great pedestrian size for the old 20mm Dark Future minis (best Car Wars minature line ever made) or Stan Johansen's Road Warrior figs that he still produces.

The site is http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/hexagonal/

I found that the hex size set to 0.866 cm (measurement is 'hex side' length) yields 5 hexes per 3" length on the paper, which is exactly 1 yard per hex in 3x Car Wars Scale.

Other settings I used successfully to print on 11x17" paper: "pdf Document Size, other: 17x11 inches" "minimum border: 0.05cm" "line weight 0.7 points"

Enjoy!

I'll have to post up pics of this on the tabletop for ya'll soon.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:47 PM   #2
Chris Goodwin

Default Re: 3x Scale Car Wars Hex Map [GURPS Autoduel]

There's a ridiculous number of post-apocalypse type maps (including roads and buildings) available at Drive-thru RPG that are in 1"=5' scale, many of which are available in hex and/or non-gridded.

I've started a subreddit for discussion of INWO and Illuminati. Check it out!
Chris Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:02 AM   #3
Chernobyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Goodwin View Post
There's a ridiculous number of post-apocalypse type maps (including roads and buildings) available at Drive-thru RPG that are in 1"=5' scale, many of which are available in hex and/or non-gridded.
1" grids aren't quite as useful for matchbox scale arenas as the base unit is 3/4" squares. (3x 1/4" grids from the old graph paper arenas).
Chernobyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:33 AM   #4
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chernobyl View Post
1" grids aren't quite as useful for matchbox scale arenas as the base unit is 3/4" squares. (3x 1/4" grids from the old graph paper arenas).
That might be edition-specific. My copy of the white-box "Car Wars Classic" (the reprint after 5th Edition was wound down) from a couple years back is 1" grids, with lighter 1/4" markings inside them.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:45 PM   #5
Chris Goodwin

Ah. Yes, Car Wars 5e is at 3x scale (1"=5'), but it's not quite the same as classic editions blown up 3x. Still, a gridless map at 1"=5' works for both. (GURPS Autoduel 1e included a sheet of 0.2" hex paper, intended for copying, so you could use original Car Wars counters to play out GURPS combats at 1 hex = 3' in a reasonable scale.)

I've started a subreddit for discussion of INWO and Illuminati. Check it out!
Chris Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:29 AM   #6
schoon

With a properly scaled movement ruler and turning key, grids aren't really needed.

I tend to avoid them, especially for newbies and Con events, as some folks shy away from something that looks "technical."
schoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:51 PM   #7
LokRobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Goodwin View Post
Ah. Yes, Car Wars 5e is at 3x scale (1"=5'), but it's not quite the same as classic editions blown up 3x. Still, a gridless map at 1"=5' works for both. (GURPS Autoduel 1e included a sheet of 0.2" hex paper, intended for copying, so you could use original Car Wars counters to play out GURPS combats at 1 hex = 3' in a reasonable scale.)
I forgot about the Autoduel tiny hex paper! I’ve got 1e even, w the insert pages and all.

The DriveThru RPG maps that are widely available w 1”=5’ all seem to use 1” hexes... if there is a mapmaker out there offering one yard hexes on the Matchbox scale art I’d love to know. Everything I’ve found requires fiddling to get those 8.7mm hex sides :)

Tags
3x scale, autoduel, graph paper, pedestrians