Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 06-29-2020, 06:51 PM   #1
CON_Troll

Default OGRE Minis 3: Waddya Think?

Just got mine delivered today. Absolutely love them. God, the MK VI is a beast.
Another person (over on the IGG comments for OGRE Mini 3) pointed out an "underbite" issue for the front of the Dopplesodner. He also posted a solution over on BGG: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread...05275#35205275
Thank you very much sir!
Old 06-29-2020, 07:42 PM   #2
Cat

Default Re: OGRE Minis 3: Waddya Think?

Yup, Jeff does great work! I'll be following his lead and removing two road wheels from my sets that just arrived today.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:00 AM   #3
Mack_JB

Aw, shucks, I'm blushing. I figured since I was the one who first pointed out the problem, I should also at least point out a fix for it.

Having made tooling in the past, I can tell you these types of errors occur, and man they are disheartening. Luckily for us the fix isn't all that hard to do if you have some modeling skill.

Last edited by Mack_JB; 06-30-2020 at 12:43 PM.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:59 AM   #4
cephalopagus

I've had some trouble getting the SB to fit in their ports. I sanded down the posts to make them fit better, anyone else having that problem?
cephalopagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:38 AM   #5
CON_Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopagus View Post
I've had some trouble getting the SB to fit in their ports. I sanded down the posts to make them fit better, anyone else having that problem?
Yeah, a couple of other folks on the IGG comments have said the same. Also, one guy apparently had a real problem gluing his parts on as the plastic seemed to "melt" more than usual with the glue he was using.

Someone else pointed out that the factory may have done SJG (and us) dirty by using "regrind" (recycled) plastic. Having been in a business that did vacuformed plastic plates, I know just how bad it is to use regrind. Such plastic does NOT hold together nearly as well as virgin plastic does. If this is indeed the case (that the factory used regrind) I hope SJG will investigate (if that's even possible for them to do) and warn them that they'll use an alternative company (again, if that is possible) if they use shoddy materials again.

Edit: I should clarify that regrind, in very small amounts, is okay for mold injection. But too much can cause issues as noted in the comments at the IGG page. Regrind used in thin sheets for vacuforming is VERY bad.

Last edited by CON_Troll; 07-01-2020 at 08:42 AM. Reason: clarification
CON_Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 08:52 PM   #6
sparky00

Surface texture seems to be much rougher than on set 1 & 2, at least in the MKVI. Almost like a pebble grain. Not sure how bad it will look with paint, but i sure prefer the smooth finish of Sets 1 & 2.
sparky00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:37 AM   #7
TheAmishStig

Opening the box, I felt like the Combine officers at the reveal of the Mk.III. "Dear God, he's huge..."

My second thought was "Yeah, that explains the price..."; even seeing pictures, I wasn't expecting them to be that much bigger than the 3/4/5.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 03:36 PM   #8
RedLeif508

overall I am pleased with my Mk VI's and Dopplesoldners. I am thankful for the suggested solution to the overbite problem. I only wish I had read about it before I had assembled the first of my Dopp's. I have stopped the assembly process until I can make the suggested corrections.

I know lots of folk are primed for MKI's and II's in set 4. But personally I'm really hoping that the IIIb, Ninja, and Vulcan are going to be in OGRE Mini's set 5, those and the missile crawler.

regards,

Last edited by RedLeif508; 07-03-2020 at 03:40 PM.
RedLeif508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 05:00 PM   #9
Mack_JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLeif508 View Post
overall I am pleased with my Mk VI's and Dopplesoldners. I am thankful for the suggested solution to the overbite problem. I only wish I had read about it before I had assembled the first of my Dopp's. I have stopped the assembly process until I can make the suggested corrections.
FWIW, I glued my first one up, and it had set solid a full day before I took the front treads off and reshaped them. I used a thin long bladed screw driver to pry the treads off, no resultant damage.

Quote:
I know lots of folk are primed for MKI's and II's in set 4. But personally I'm really hoping that the IIIb, Ninja, and Vulcan are going to be in OGRE Mini's set 5, those and the missile crawler.
At the point we have I and II's, not having the Ninja and IIIB / Vulcan would be a shame -- as I think SJ is committed to this line of minis now.

Also, you could tool the IIIB and Vulcan on one sprue by merely making the rear half a separate piece, and the modeler could choose which "tail" to affix to which "head" (call it the 'pantomime horse' Vulcan if you like).
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 03:35 PM   #10
poi

Any word on overseas shipping? Nothing here in UK so far.

Honk if Pluto is a planet
poi is offline   Reply With Quote