Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 06-02-2020, 08:39 PM   #1
jeffery

Default Datafile Specs for GCA

Are there any updates to the datafile specifications, that are newer than 2012?

I can _almost_ make out what's happening by looking at some of the Template coding in some of the existing datafiles, but having a good list of the tags, and other specifications would sure be handy.

With the quarantine, we've dusted off an old campaign and loaded the characters, but it would be neat to make some adjustments to our rusty gdf files.

Thanks
jeffery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:32 AM   #2
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Datafile Specs for GCA

The GCA DATA FILE REFERENCE GUIDE from 2012 is the reference I go back to when I need to figure out something; other than looking through the data files to see how things have been done.

The fundamentals of data files haven't really changed in a decade. A few new features have been added on with the updates; those are noted in the Change Log which can be found on the GCA Update page.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:21 PM   #3
jeffery

Is there anywhere that lists which tags work with each trait? For instance, 'Castingcost()' works in Spells. What other tags can I use?
Old 06-04-2020, 04:00 PM   #4
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffery View Post
Is there anywhere that lists which tags work with each trait? For instance, 'Castingcost()' works in Spells. What other tags can I use?
Most tags work on most traits. There are a few tags which are specific to attributes, and a few that are specific to modifiers, but generally I don't think you are limited from using any tags on any traits. In fact, you can add your own tags to traits, you just have to be aware that new tags may not be fully math enabled.

The thing is, many tags may not be looked for on other traits. Castingcost() can be added to any trait, but the printout Character Sheets only look for it on spells. That doesn't mean that other traits can't have a castingcost() tag, but you would either need to manually configure a Character Sheet to display that tag (assuming it has the ability to do so) or update the Sheet to display the tag (or convince the author to do so).
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 11:28 AM   #5
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffery View Post
I do try to specify in the GDF Reference to what type of trait each tag applies, but there's no master list of each trait type and what tags they use. This is partly because GCA has few silos that define what might apply with a trait; that is, GCA will look for different things when calculating the cost of equipment, rather than advantages, say, but items of either type can be defined to have, use, and exhibit weapon or attack features.

So, what Eric said, basically. Things tend to be flexible (except when they're not; which is mostly cost and weight stuff, rather than info stuff).
Old 06-05-2020, 06:13 PM   #6
jeffery

Thanks for the info. I was looking for a comprehensive list, and hoped I was just missing it.