Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 12-22-2021, 05:37 PM   #11
Astromancer

Default Re: Fashions in Bio modification

In a Sci Fi novella I read decades ago (it was mainly set at the central mall of the Solar System) were there was a bio modification fad called "Maximilism." One character had so many arms and legs that he looked like he was playing the caterpillar from "Alice in Wonderland."

There was also a fashion called "Minimalism." People had themselves reduced to disembodied heads.

Once I would said that was over the top satire. In our age of nose rings, facial tattoos, and eye insert jewelry, I no longer think these fashions unrealistic.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 09:12 AM   #12
dcarson

Here is someone that has spent over $70,000 on surgery to look lizard like. Partial nose removal, ear removal, bone spike implants. https://metro.co.uk/wp-content/uploa...I_80166005.jpg
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 02:15 PM   #13
DaibhidC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Given the weirdness of the setting, hypertrichosis could be fashionable. We have furries now. Picture what happens when they can have fur for real. Some will even modify parts of their bodies to fit their chosen animal. A "satyr" might grow horns and swap his feet for hooves. A tiger might get fangs and swap out his eyes for eyes with slits like a cat. As any of it can be reversed, few would really care.
There's a native of the 30th century in the Doctor Who novels who, when we first meet him, looks like a giant blond teddy bear. As far as I can recall, he doesn't have any particular reason for this beyond random whim.
DaibhidC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 05:35 AM   #14
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaibhidC View Post
There's a native of the 30th century in the Doctor Who novels who, when we first meet him, looks like a giant blond teddy bear. As far as I can recall, he doesn't have any particular reason for this beyond random whim.
The 4th Doctor episode "Robots of Death" was written by a man who assumed that, in future societies that were far richer than our own, everything would be far stranger and more luxurious than in our own society. I think he was right.. Historically, the richer a society was, whether or not it was egalitarian, the stranger the society was. Compare Imperial Rome to the Early Medieval cultures.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote