Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-16-2022, 09:58 AM   #1
Malleg

Default Conditional Malediction

I'm trying to model a Malediction that is triggered by breaking a mutually agreed upon rule.

the idea is that one playing character will try to impose a rule on the fight and whoever accepts it must observe it or suffer some damage.

ideally the easier to follow the rule the worse would be the damage. and the playing character using the ability would automatically be bound by it.

any idea?
Malleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 10:22 AM   #2
the_matrix_walker

Default Re: Conditional Malediction

I would do this as :

Affliction (Added Disadvantage, Weakness to Rulebreaking, +32%; Area Effect, +50%; Malediction, +100%) [29]
-Weakness to Rulebreaking: Weakness, "Being in violation of the stated agreement" (Occasional), 1d per minute (Variable, -40%; Discrete. +100%)) [-32].

Variable allows you to scale the damage to the degree of compliance.

To make the damage occur more than once a minute so that damage occurs every time they break the rule, add (Discrete, +100%) based on the last sentence of this Krommnote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Weakness self-evidently implies contact. Look at the examples: cold is assumed to be chilling the air that engulfs you; horse dander, pollen, smoke, etc. are assumed to be going up your nose and touching your skin; noise is assumed to be vibrating your person; and electromagnetic radiation of all sorts, including sunlight, is assumed to be impinging on your body. The only corner case is "nearby magic," and as magic in GURPS clearly emits something that certain spells and individuals can detect from quite far away, it's really no different from radiation.

What's unclear is how momentary contact works. Generally, I rule that any contact produces the initial dose of damage, whereupon later doses are only effective one full cycle after the first. So "1d per minute" from holy water would be: "Takes 1d from contact with holy water. A second dose won't be effective until a minute after the first." I'd gauge damage that applies per discrete dosing attack as being a +100% enhancement, doubling the points back for Weakness.

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 01-16-2022 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Cleaned things up a bit...
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 11:16 AM   #3
Malleg

that's exactly what I needed, thank you
Malleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 11:22 AM   #4
Anthony

The other thing you can do is just use an innate attack with a trigger.
Old 01-16-2022, 11:54 AM   #5
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malleg View Post
that's exactly what I needed, thank you
You are most welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The other thing you can do is just use an innate attack with a trigger.
Do you mean a 'Triggered Delay, +50%'? Zap em when they make the agreement and the delayed trigger goes off if they break the deal?
Old 01-16-2022, 11:57 AM   #6
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Do you mean a 'Triggered Delay, +50%'? Zap em when they make the agreement and the delayed trigger goes off if they break the deal?
Yes, exactly.
Old 01-16-2022, 12:21 PM   #7
the_matrix_walker

Edited my first post... I decided to price breaking the rules as Occassional, YMMV.

I would probably allow that damage to scale. Consider a die a fixed 4, and hand out the variable damage to the degree of violation, or scale the Weakness up to 2d [-64] as if it were leveled (Not RAW of course).

You can also add the "All or Nothing, -10%" limitation so that if anyone resists the effect, no one is bound.