Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-06-2016, 12:57 PM   #1
Tallor

Default ATE: RP stat, ~and~ Rad Tolerance?

Humans are tough creatures compared to most mammals, but we rely on cleverness quite often to survive. In a radioactive wasteland

If using the RP system (or Rad Points, as I call them), can a character with a "mutant" background (i.e. a Fallout-style Ghoul) take Radiation Tolerance? I would think that since RP is a streamlining of the rad system, resisting rads would work the same--including other sources of Protection Factors, like ultratech drugs with temporary effects!

What do you think?
Tallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:28 PM   #2
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: ATE: RP stat, ~and~ Rad Tolerance?

Sure.

In my pre-ATE GURPS Fallout games Ghouls have Slow Regeneration (Only in Strong Radiation) and Immunity To Radiation. PC Ghouls and Mutants can buy up higher levels of Regen, and Glowing Ones have Healing (Aura, Only 'Ghouls', etc, Deals Lethal Radiation).
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:59 PM   #3
Leynok

According to the rules, no. Naturally you're always free to go against that suggestion and use it anyway, but here are some other ideas.
Damage Resistance (Limited, Radiation) this would stop most outside sources, but if anything got past it (like a follow up) then you would be left without any protection.
Injury Tolerance: Damage Reduction (Limited Radiation) essentially has the same effect as Radiation Tolerance, but would cost a lot more points.
Regeneration (Radiation Only -60%) won't stop you from gaining that radiation, but will help you deal with it quickly. Also by defaults you shed rads 10 times faster than you would HP, which happens to line up perfectly with how RP works.
Leynok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:28 PM   #4
Tallor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leynok View Post
According to the rules, no. Naturally you're always free to go against that suggestion and use it anyway, but here are some other ideas.
Well I was saying as an exotic advantage, and as a mechanically mundane occurrence. Being in a cave, for instance, easily limit your rad exposure by a factor of 500 or higher.

Quote:
Damage Resistance (Limited, Radiation) this would stop most outside sources, but if anything got past it (like a follow up) then you would be left without any protection.
I'm not fond of this idea, since it changes how radiation works.

Quote:
Injury Tolerance: Damage Reduction (Limited Radiation) essentially has the same effect as Radiation Tolerance, but would cost a lot more points.
It shouldn't--but I guess it does!

Quote:
Regeneration (Radiation Only -60%) won't stop you from gaining that radiation, but will help you deal with it quickly. Also by defaults you shed rads 10 times faster than you would HP, which happens to line up perfectly with how RP works.
Regeneration (Slow, Rads Only) would be... 6 points! There we go!
Tallor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
protection factor, radiation, radiation protection, rps