Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-11-2011, 12:31 PM   #1
MEC

Default Spell Stones or Manastones and Create Object

I have a struggling mage that has some enchanting capacity, but few resources to gather gems, cast spells them, just to have them destroyed. So far, I can’t find any discussions on using the Create Objet spell to make items to use Manastone, Spell Stone, or any other spell that requires a material of X value. Anyone see any issues with this (other than the obvious fact that if the item is dropped or other otherwise away from a living being the item and thus the enchantment will go away)?
MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
vierasmarius

Default Re: Spell Stones or Manastones and Create Object

I would not allow this. In general, the material requirements for magic simply can't be fulfilled with more magic.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:27 PM   #3
mlangsdorf

I don't see a problem with it. Using Create Object to create gemstone that is then incorporated in a magic item that the caster has to carry with him at all times seems like a fairly large draw back. If the caster drops the object or puts it down for any reason, the gemstone disappears and the enchantment is lost.

For anyone who can cast reasonable enchantments, it's almost certainly better to earn some actual money and buy the appropriate components than try to create them via Create Object.
mlangsdorf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:34 PM   #4
MEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
I would not allow this. In general, the material requirements for magic simply can't be fulfilled with more magic.
So I assume in your campaigns then, that Wizard Alchemists can't use their magical abilities to reduce the cost or time for making their magical elixirs?
Old 08-11-2011, 01:36 PM   #5
Anthony

Object created with create object have zero value (or value equal to the cost to cast), as they are not persistent.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:41 PM   #6
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

I would allow it, but it would count as an item of 0 value (so you get the same results as enchanting a random pebble), and with the same restrictions as Create Object (vulnerability to dispel, to no mana zones, to not being in contact with a living being...)
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:52 PM   #7
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEC View Post
So I assume in your campaigns then, that Wizard Alchemists can't use their magical abilities to reduce the cost or time for making their magical elixirs?
They can, but not by pulling alchemical ingredients out of thin air.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:36 PM   #8
MEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
They can, but not by pulling alchemical ingredients out of thin air.
But wouldn't that be what using Essential Acid or Essential Earth (per example in Magic p211) are doing?
Old 08-11-2011, 02:47 PM   #9
MEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
I would allow it, but it would count as an item of 0 value (so you get the same results as enchanting a random pebble), and with the same restrictions as Create Object (vulnerability to dispel, to no mana zones, to not being in contact with a living being...)
I guess this is where my problem with it being based on value comes in. I've assumed the value was just a convenient way to describe a gem of certain size (though yes it does appear you can take a painting and turn it into a powerstone). But if it truly the value of the item that is the basis of whether it can be enchanted or not, then are there great fluctuations just based on non-game mechanic items. For example the painting idea. Last year, I buy a painting that is valued at $1000 and build up the powerstone enchantment on it to near max. Suddenly that painter is out of favor and no one will buy his works and the value plummets to $50. Now do I have to divide the amount of power by 4 as it is enchanted over the value?

Also if I walk into a cave that has gems lying everywhere, or use plane shift to get to a plane where gems are more common than dirt, the character can pick up the "valued" items and bring them back without having to earn the money needed to by the ingredients. Is that any different than using Create Object and being limited by the restrictions of a created object?

Tags
enchanting, manastone