Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-12-2018, 10:08 PM   #1
WaterAndWindSpirit

Default Detonate advantage/spell

Hello everyone!

So I'm looking for an advantage or a spell that can detonate flammable/explosive materials. It wouldn't create an explosion out of thin air, but it could detonate a propane tank as if it received enough damage to explode, or detonate explosives as if the detonator was activated/the pin was pulled. Where could I find that?

Thanks!
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:28 PM   #2
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Detonate advantage/spell

As an advantage that would be Control (Rare) at 10 points per level (Powers, pg 90)... (Specifically Control (Cause Explosion)).

As for a spell, hmmm. No one spell from vanilla Magic, but several could make do for causing an explosion (Glitch in the case of the detonator triggering, various Fire spells for the propane tank, etc)).
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:32 AM   #3
Hide

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterAndWindSpirit View Post
Hello everyone!

So I'm looking for an advantage or a spell that can detonate flammable/explosive materials. It wouldn't create an explosion out of thin air, but it could detonate a propane tank as if it received enough damage to explode, or detonate explosives as if the detonator was activated/the pin was pulled. Where could I find that?

Thanks!
Oh yeah, this is a great idea! I did this before with an "Innate Attack":

Innate attack: Crushing 3 [15], 355% (No signature +20%, Selective area +20%, Selectivity +10%, Melee, Reach (C) -30%, Aura +80%, Delay, Triggered +50%, Explosive 3 +150%, Fragmentary 3 +45%, Incendiary +10%) [69]

This is from my old notes, so maybe it will need adjustments for you. The idea here is turning anything you touch into an explosive material, and then you trigger the explosion! AFAIK this works in vanilla, and you don't need to be a wizard to employ it.

What do you think?
- Hide

Last edited by Hide; 03-13-2018 at 12:46 AM.
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:54 AM   #4
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
As for a spell, hmmm. No one spell from vanilla Magic, but ....)).
....You could get the Technomancer pdf. That has a Detonate and Mas detonate Spell in it along with many other cool things that did not make Magic 4e.

It won't set off things you need to mix an oxidizer with though.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:47 PM   #5
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterAndWindSpirit View Post
Hello everyone!

Most likely Ignite Fire will do that. For advantages, a burning attack affliction.