Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-03-2018, 07:13 AM   #1
hal

Default Analysis of Handgun accuracy for High Tech pistols

Hello Folks,
This probably should be part and parcel of other threads regarding handgun rules and how to stat real world weapons for use with GURPS 4e, but I figured that this might deserve its own topic.

Thanks to Douglas Cole's preliminary work on determining general damage values from real world bullet data, and Hans work on crafting the data that went into GURPS HIGH TECH for 4e, I thought I'd try an analysis on what goes into the Accuracy values for listed handguns. Mind you, my initial analysis is based on a sample of only 23 of the 24 handguns listed in the table on page 101, and it only initially examines the data based on barrel length and overall lengths (there are other factors that go into handgun accuracy I'm sure!!!), it might perhaps give some guideline for those who want to try to assign an accuracy rating based on real world stats...

This is NOT intended to say that this is how things work per se, but to inquire as to whether or not it is even in the right ball park. Without bench rest firing data on these guns, I can only go by the data I could find.

Net results...

Accuracy 0 semi-automatic firearms:

Average barrel length: 2.2"
Average Overall Length: 4.5"

Accuracy 1 Semi-automatic Firearms:
Average barrel length: 3.6"
Average Overall Length: 6.3"

Accuracy 2 semi-automatic Firearms:
Average barrel length: 4.6"
Average Overall Length: 8.3"

The K&K VP70's stats of 4.6" barrel length and 8" overall length seems to be an outlier as far as stats go, but I trust Han's work enough to say "Ok, there must be a GOOD reason he used the accuracy 1 stat for the weapon despite it seemingly being a match for an Accuracy 2 rating as compared against other semi-automatic handguns with comparable stats.

Eventually, when I get a chance, I'll see if I can find barrel lengths for the Adventure guns (1860's era hand guns) and see if the initial analysis holds true or not.

If one ignores the VP70 entry, the stats for the accuracy values would seem to be ranges of:

Accuracy 0: anything less than 3"
Accuracy 1: between 3 to 3.4"
Accuracy 2: Anything 3.5" and up.

Overall length values?

Accuracy 0: up to 4.6"
Accuracy 1: between 5" to 6.1"
Accuracy 2: 7.1" on up.

Again the VP70 handgun seems to throw the numbers off a little bit, but for now, I'll see what I can find in other published material.
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:19 AM   #2
Icelander

Default Re: Analysis of Handgun accuracy for High Tech pistols

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
The K&K VP70's stats of 4.6" barrel length and 8" overall length seems to be an outlier as far as stats go, but I trust Han's work enough to say "Ok, there must be a GOOD reason he used the accuracy 1 stat for the weapon despite it seemingly being a match for an Accuracy 2 rating as compared against other semi-automatic handguns with comparable stats.
It's Double-Action Only, which means a heavy trigger pull that makes it hard to shoot accurately. If you check other gun stats, you'll see that Hans consistently reduces Acc to 1 for DAO handguns.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:32 AM   #3
hal

Default Re: Analysis of Handgun accuracy for High Tech pistols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
It's Double-Action Only, which means a heavy trigger pull that makes it hard to shoot accurately. If you check other gun stats, you'll see that Hans consistently reduces Acc to 1 for DAO handguns.
Ahhhh! Thank you! That is something to factor in when I go to analyze the Adventure gun stats when I get the chance later on.

Thanks again for your observation...
hal is offline   Reply With Quote