Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-18-2015, 09:55 AM   #11
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [Basic] Skill of the week: Forced Entry

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Security cameras are traps, and the skill you use to spot them is Per-based Traps skill, canonically (pp. B226-B227).
That's ... very obscure and very correct. Thanks for pointing it out. the basic set is a really dense book. Hard to know all of it.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:07 AM   #12
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
That's ... very obscure and very correct. Thanks for pointing it out. the basic set is a really dense book. Hard to know all of it.
It is. I had occasion to review the Basic Set skills list lately, and I've several times noted that point about security cameras, so I went to Traps to see what it said was the counterskill.

You could also use Electronics Operation/Repair with an appropriate specialty, of course.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:13 AM   #13
Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I have read Basic 1 cover-to-cover no fewer than 5 times. I'm still discovering things. By the time my nursing home convenes its first game I should be ready to play!
Old 07-18-2015, 10:27 AM   #14
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
You could also use Electronics Operation/Repair with an appropriate specialty, of course.
I also allow Engineer (Security Systems) and Expert Skill (Security Systems) to be used for counter-security.

Yes, I've seen both skills taken in games I've run.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 11:02 AM   #15
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
I also allow Engineer (Security Systems) and Expert Skill (Security Systems) to be used for counter-security.
I would not allow the Expert skill to do that. Expert skills by definition are know-that skills rather than know-how skills. You can roll versus an Expert skill as a complementary skill to the primary skill you use to perform the task, but you should make a roll vs. Lockpicking or Traps or Forced Entry or Computer Hacking or one of the Electronics skills, depending on the job.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:35 AM   #16
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
I would not allow the Expert skill to do that. Expert skills by definition are know-that skills rather than know-how skills. You can roll versus an Expert skill as a complementary skill to the primary skill you use to perform the task, but you should make a roll vs. Lockpicking or Traps or Forced Entry or Computer Hacking or one of the Electronics skills, depending on the job.
The level of restriction on Expert Skills seems to be not that harsh: off the top of my head, I recall that Expert Skill (Computer Security) can be used to analyse some stuff and negate -4ish penalties on hacking, while Expert Skill (Memetics) is used to successfully perform an Artifact Analysis (and is the only skill that does so at no penalty!).
Old 07-18-2015, 01:04 PM   #17
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
You should read Expert Skill (Computer Security) at some. It explicitly allows you to find security flaws in the software.

Exploiting and patching these flaws is another skill.

I see nothing different allowing Expert Skill (Security Systems) to figure out what and how the security is laid out. Exploiting any flaws would take Stealth, Electronics Repair, Lockpicking, various social skills, etc.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 01:23 PM   #18
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
You should read Expert Skill (Computer Security) at some. It explicitly allows you to find security flaws in the software.
That's an IQ-based task to begin with. It's heavily loaded on knowledge. Seeing where cameras are placed is a Per-based task. Of course if you've seen the cameras you could probably use an Expert Skill to identify the models and recall their capabilities, which would be good for a bonus to circumventing them.

Old 07-18-2015, 01:46 PM   #19
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

Requiring a skill roll to spot normal security cameras seems unnecessary. They aren't usually hidden; in fact, their main function is often to be a deterrent, so they are made fairly obvious.

I'd say anyone who remembers to look for ordinary security cameras should simply be able to see them unless there is some issue with visibility (in which case it's a vision roll).

Skills should only be relevant if you forget to check (in which case it's probably IQ based Observation or Stealth to instinctively check you aren't being seen) or the cameras are hidden (Traps).
Sam Baughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 01:49 PM   #20
GM Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not View Post
I have read Basic 1 cover-to-cover no fewer than 5 times. I'm still discovering things. By the time my nursing home convenes its first game I should be ready to play!
LOL. Yeah, being on the boards for this, Hero, and even AD&D 1e I get the feeling that they all require a Ph.D. level of study before one can fully grasp any of them. That's why I appreciate these "Skill of the week" threads so much.

Tags
basic, forced entry, skill of the week