Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-02-2018, 09:52 PM   #1
WaterAndWindSpirit

Default (limitations) requires allies in critical condition

Hello all!

You've all seen this scene in an anime. The heroes fight against a villain, and it's an uphill struggle. And then, one of the heroes gets injured and collapses. The rest get a massive power boost.

So... How much would be the value of a limitation to an advantage would "Only activates if a Dependent or someone you have a Sense of Duty towards is in critical condition and your actions lead to rescuing them" with "critical condition" meaning that the allies either are under 0 HP, or suffer from a crippled limb or are incapacitated or are helpless (hit by a spell causing a deep slumber in the middle of battle, or under mind control, held captive and can't escape under their own power...)? Basically, they have to rescue their comrades reasonably fast (no letting your friend locked up and clearing the whole facility and then freeing them for instance, you have to hit the jail cell first, target the enemy mind controlling them first or use their abilities to free the mind controlled character, and so on...) to get the benefits. I would guess it is a more restrictive variant of "Emergencies Only" since "Emergencies Only" work if you're in danger but no one is in critical condition, so I'd eyeball it as -50%, but what do you say?

Also, if I want to encourage this anime mentality, does it break the game to give extra CP that can only be spend on abilities that activate when allies get in critical condition to characters? While it could lead to PCs taking "Daredevil" or "On The Edge" reasoning that such traits would lead them taking risk and being compensated by triggering powers more often, said traits are probably pretty common among anime protagonists...

Thanks!
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:25 AM   #2
ArchonShiva

Default Re: (limitations) requires allies in critical condition

As an actual Accessibility Limitation, Emergencies Only (which, by 3rd edition RAW included pretty much any combat, something not stated in 4e, but not contradicted either) is -30%, so at least -60% if it requires allies in critical condition, and that would allow using the power to finish off the enemy. I’d say 70% if it’s only to rescue them, unless the power, by it’s very nature, was pretty much only useful for rescuing anyway (e.g. Healing), in which case -50% would be enough.

As a more general trait, it seems like something a Higher Purpose (Rescue friends and loved ones) could work for. It makes the character better at *everything* in pursuit of this goal, and depending how it’s phrased (my example would cover it), could give a bonus for the entire operation when the heroe’s girlfriend gets kidnapped (why villains keep kidnapping girlfriends, when they know it only makes the hero invulnerable, is a mystery).
Old 03-03-2018, 06:43 AM   #3
Varyon

Default Re: (limitations) requires allies in critical condition

I’ll need to check when I’m home, but there’s a Pyramid article with a “horde ninja” enemy, where each gets more powerful as their allies fall. I think it uses Higher Purpose, and might be useful here.