Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 06-23-2015, 10:02 PM   #1
brinorquist

Default GURPS 3E to 4E Traveller

Hi All,
Anyone know where there is a good list of rules fixes to convert the Traveller 3rd edition source books to 4th?
I've seen some issues that cause me a bit of a headache while GM'ing.
Example: the Imperial Marine Battlesuit info from 3rd ed Ground Forces, Star Merc, Traveller main book, and the 4th ed Interstellar Wars all have different levels of DR. One is DR 1,200, another is 400, and another is 250...
Looking for an updated ironmongery list for Traveller 4th ed...

Thanks!
brinorquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:33 PM   #2
Ronnke

Default Re: GURPS 3E to 4E Traveller

You can have a look at the GURPS Update PDF, it may have the information you need.

http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/resources/4eupdate.pdf

Otherwise, just use the numbers as found in 4e Ultra Tech. For the most part it all gels fine with Traveller.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:41 AM   #3
thrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinorquist View Post
Example: the Imperial Marine Battlesuit info from 3rd ed Ground Forces, Star Merc, Traveller main book, and the 4th ed Interstellar Wars all have different levels of DR. One is DR 1,200, another is 400, and another is 250...
That particular example is problematic. These versions are all very different, as their other stats (mass, in particular) demonstrate. They represent discrepancies in how the various authors viewed the suits, from "invincible, overwhelming force" to "playable, more like the original". The TL10 Commando Battlesuit from Ultratech (p. 183) is the TL10 version of the Battlesuit from the Basic Set (p. 285), which was recommended for Interstellar Wars (p. 162) -- all 4e, and a fairly close match for Battledress from Classic Traveller.
thrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:52 PM   #4
brinorquist

Thanks Thrash. Good advice...
brinorquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:14 AM   #5
Rupert

For my Traveller: The New Era campaign, run using GURPS 4e, I use UT for gear, and just rule out any stuff that seems very 'un-Traveller like'. Depending on the feel you want, you can be more or less strict about what is and is not available - for example, I allow electrolasers and sonic stunners, making knocking people out rather than killing them a bit easier than it was in Classic Traveller.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:26 PM   #6
Jason Packer

Anyone taken the time to advance the ship design rules to include jump drives higher than 3, if not higher tech weaponry?
Jason Packer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:10 PM   #7
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Packer View Post
Anyone taken the time to advance the ship design rules to include jump drives higher than 3, if not higher tech weaponry?
You mean the IW rules, right? I'd just use other rules.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:10 AM   #8
Infojunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
I allow electrolasers and sonic stunners, making knocking people out rather than killing them a bit easier than it was in Classic Traveller.
But Stunner where in CT.... At least after one of the Double Adventures... Not to forget Tranq needles for Gauss Weapons....

"Never let the fans touch your assets"
Bruce Harlick 2007
Infojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:44 PM   #9
SteveS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infojunky View Post
Not to forget Tranq needles for Gauss Weapons....
I'm not sure a tranq round for a gauss weapon would have the desired effect; at gauss weapon velocity, a tranq round would just punch a tranq round-sized hole in the target. On the other hand, a gauss weapon might reduce the velocity for a tranq round, but that would lose a lot of the range.
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:12 AM   #10
doulos05

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
I'm not sure a tranq round for a gauss weapon would have the desired effect; at gauss weapon velocity, a tranq round would just punch a tranq round-sized hole in the target. On the other hand, a gauss weapon might reduce the velocity for a tranq round, but that would lose a lot of the range.
The good news is, your target is stunned. The bad news is, he's stunned because half of his right lung is missing.
doulos05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
traveller