Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-18-2015, 03:55 AM   #1
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default [Basic] Skill of the week: Forced Entry

"Open up if you value your door!" -- Obelix.

Forced Entry is the DX/E skill of breaking through doors, windows and the like by main force, without hurting yourself. There is no default, but you can often use combat skills in place of it. A skill roll allows an attack with a kick or an impact weapon. If you have Forced Entry at DX+1 you get +1/die to basic swing or thrust damage, +2/die for skill at DX+2, and the same +1 or +2 to ST rolls for breaking in. The skill and bonuses can also be used to break inanimate objects out of combat. It's not clear if Forced Entry damage bonuses are cumulative with bonuses from Karate, or an applicable Weapon Master advantage, but I suspect they aren't.

In settings where adventurers go round with big impact weapons a lot, this skill can seem redundant, as discussed in Template Toolkit 1: Characters. It's more obviously useful in modern settings, with fewer war-hammers and battle-axes; it would make sense as a complementary skill to Explosives (Demolitions) for opening doors with explosives.

Forced Entry shows up on templates for all kinds of intruders, as a primary skill for infiltrators, thieves and thugs, and many GURPS books have equipment worth +1 to skill under appropriate circumstances. Action (and Monster Hunters) provide rules for getting through modern-day security with this skill. DF does likewise for its setting, has racial talents for dwarves and gnomes that include this skill, and has ST- and IQ-based applications for tavern and wilderness environments. High-Tech and Low-Tech have a lot of tools, which confirm Forced Entry as the general skill for breaking things, not just houses. A surprising number of the Talents in PU3 and Wildcard skills in PU7 feature Forced Entry. Tactical Shooting has Forced Entry via guns, and Chinese Elemental Powers via abilities. Underground Adventures allows application of Forced Entry bonuses to muscle-powered tools in mining and tunnelling.

I don't think I've ever used this skill, as such. A few of my characters have had a point in it, but they're either been burgling more quietly, via Lockpicking, or using explosives.

What have you busted into?
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 06:12 AM   #2
Beguiler

Default Re: [Basic] Skill of the week: Forced Entry

Isn't it generally also the skill for efficiently breaking inanimate objects? E.g. squirrels can use Forced Entry to break open nuts and chew through other tough materials.
Beguiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 06:27 AM   #3
WaterAndWindSpirit

It's useful in a modern world. Lockpicking is only useful if you care that no one knows you opened the door (or for opening a small container with suspected fragile objects inside), most burglars straight up force the door open. And carrying a sledgehammer would be bad for your encumbrance, not to mention looking suspicious. A crowbar could probably be hidden under a winter coat (especially one custom made for hiding it), and would give a bonus to Forced Entry.

It's also useful for prying open jammed doors in a post apocalyptic world without damaging what's behind, if you plan on scavenging buildings for scraps. There again, you don't have to carry a big and heavy sledgehammer to open the door.

Last edited by WaterAndWindSpirit; 07-18-2015 at 07:32 AM.
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 06:50 AM   #4
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beguiler View Post
Isn't it generally also the skill for efficiently breaking inanimate objects? E.g. squirrels can use Forced Entry to break open nuts and chew through other tough materials.
Yes - High-Tech and Low-Tech make that pretty clear.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 08:51 AM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I'm really not sure if this is a legitiment way to do things, but I have my players use Per-based forced entry to check for security cameras in an area. I'm not sure what other skill they would use. Lockpicking, maybe, but that has just as dubious a connection.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:02 AM   #6
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I'm really not sure if this is a legitiment way to do things, but I have my players use Per-based forced entry to check for security cameras in an area. I'm not sure what other skill they would use. Lockpicking, maybe, but that has just as dubious a connection.
Security cameras are traps, and the skill you use to spot them is Per-based Traps skill, canonically (pp. B226-B227).

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:11 AM   #7
Adversary

What skill would you use for jimmying open a window, skylight, sliding glass door, etc.? I've thought maybe Forced Entry, but sounds like that's really for smashing your way in. Would it be Lockpicking even though you aren't really attacking a conventional lock (maybe a latch of some kind)?
Adversary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:13 AM   #8
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Skills really aren't organized that way. There isn't an umbrella 'breaking and entering' skill anywhere. You want a skill pertaining to spotting things, really...Observation would be perfect. Perception-based Traps is also suitable. (Action agrees with this.)
Old 07-18-2015, 09:17 AM   #9
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adversary View Post
What skill would you use for jimmying open a window, skylight, sliding glass door, etc.? I've thought maybe Forced Entry, but sounds like that's really for smashing your way in. Would it be Lockpicking even though you aren't really attacking a conventional lock (maybe a latch of some kind)?
Look in the text: "Add a similar bonus (+1 or +2) to ST rolls made for forced entry." It's clearly applicable to your 'force doors or bend bars' type rolls.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:45 AM   #10
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adversary View Post
I use DX based Forced Entry for "delicate force" operations such as jimmying windows (and ST for crowbaring a door open without bashing it). It's Lockpick if they manipulating the window lock, and I have them use their better of Carpentry or Mechanics if they're Starglazing (removing a window pane without breaking it).
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basic, forced entry, skill of the week