Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-22-2019, 05:26 AM   #1
Erling

Default Treating Shock and skill significance

I somewhat dislike Treating Shock (B424) rules as written, because they base the amount of restored HP on 1d TL-related roll rather than on character's First Aid success roll. I agree that TL should be relevant in most games, but I'd like to design or borrow a house rule that would emphasise medic's skill.

The thing is, good amount of HP restored thanks to medic's efforts usually causes lots of cheers and encouragement from his combat-oriented comrades-in-arms, and that's and important source of fun for people who play medics. It's their spotlight, and they deserve it. Therefore I think it would be fair to give people who invested their points into IQ and First Aid a higher chance to restore more HP. It emphasises their decision, makes it more significant. It may be cinematic, but it fits me well.

I do take into consideration that as per RAW First Aid level is still significant because medic must succeed before any amount of HP will be restored (and he may have to withstand penalties due to patient's HP loss), but nevertheless I think that success-based HP restoration is more fun.

Variant #1:
Number of restored HP equals medic's margin of success on his First Aid roll. Since TL should be relevant, it determines the max amount of restored HP as follows:

TL 0-1: 2 HP
TL 2-3: 3 HP
TL 3-4: 4 HP
TL 5-6: 5 HP
TL 7-8: 6 HP
TL 9+: 7 HP

Variant #1.1:
Number of restored HP equals medic's margin of success on his First Aid roll. Maximum number is limited (if any) by GM's "feel" about how it shall work in the gaming world. Say, realistic TL3 medic may be capped at 3 HP, while cinematic one may be capped at 7.

Variant #2:
Number of restored HP equals medic's margin of success on his First Aid roll. Since TL should be relevant, First Aid roll for Treating Shock (but not for Bandaging!) is subject to modifiers listed under Equipment entry at Surgery section at the same page (B424).

Variant #3:
Variants #1 and #2 combined. Number of restored HP equals medic's margin of success on his First Aid roll. Since TL should be relevant, First Aid roll for Treating Shock (but not for Bandaging!) is subject to modifiers listed under Equipment entry at Surgery section at the same page (B424). But since even Paracelsus or Hippocrates can't be more effective than TL9+ medics, max amount of restored HP is capped at 7.

Advice and opinions invited.
Wave your arms and shout.
Erling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:02 AM   #2
naloth

Default Re: Treating Shock and skill significance

I like the idea of basing it off margin of success (MoS) rather than just pass/fail. I would require a TL appropriate First Aid kit and I'd probably simplify it a bit.

I haven't tried this out in play but how's this sound:

First Aid heals 1 point plus 1 point of success up to the TL level of the kit use. TL 8 could heal up to 8 points potentially, but you'd need to make the roll by 7 to get the full benefit. Normally having good kit adds +1 or +2, so someone with a really good first aid skill could get the full benefit with a MoS of 5 and the right equipment.

At TL3/4 that's 3-4 HP over bandaging, which is still pretty nice but you'd still need a fairly decent skill to pull it off regularly.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:07 AM   #3
Rupert

I see a problem with just using margin of success, and a cap based on TL. That is that being a really good medic is much easier at low TLs, because the results cap out more readily. The TL modifiers suggested in the OP's option #2 help with that, but make getting any healing past a bandage rather hard for amateurs at TL5-, which might be what you want, of course.

Note that these rules also make critical successes anti-climatic at low TLs, because you'll capped out on a roll that's well over that required for a critical. Perhaps some other small benefit for a critical success might be in order.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:31 AM   #4
naloth

My guess is that you would get more bonuses at higher TLs, which is essentially the same as adding more HP for successful use.

Proper first aid kits (any TL) usually offer a +1. At TL5+ a doctor's kit usually offers a +2 to first aid. You could potentially combine that with better quality or bonding.

Ultra tech has rules for assisted systems that either give a bonus (usually +2?) or actually provide the skill instead.

Giving either another +2 HP (if you exceeded the MoS needed for max) or max healing on a critical success probably wouldn't break anything.

Last edited by naloth; 03-22-2019 at 10:34 AM.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote