Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 03-28-2019, 07:53 AM   #331
swordtart

Default Re: The Unoffial 2056 Vehicle Guide

Back Biter by Swordtart:
Heavy Cycle; Cycle chassis; Heavy Active suspension;
Medium Cycle PP w/SCs, HDHTMs, Overdrive, 10 pt. Plastic CA;
2 PR Radial tires, HD Shocks, HD Brakes, ABS;
Rider, 1x10 pt. Plastic CA
Multi-Fire AP Rocket Pod (B), Blow Through Concealment;
Oil Discharger (U); 3 x Flame Cloud Discharger(R,L,R);
Link (all weapons);
15 pts. Sloped Plastic (F: 5 R: 0 L: 0 B: 10 T: 0 U: 0);
10 pt. Plastic Windshell; 1x10 pt. Plastic Guards F; 1x10 pt. Plastic Guards B;
Cargo 10lb, no spaces;
Cost: $12,773, Wgt: 1,290, HC: 4 (5), Top Speed: 132.5 (87.5, 152.5), Accel: 10 (20, 5).

Designed as a document courier with anti-pursuit measures the "Back Biter" is sometimes encountered as a tail-end charlie on light vehicle convoys. It is also encountered as a sucker punch in ambush. Intended to attack to the rear its impressive acceleration, exemplary handling, low profile and decent all-round armour, mean that, once it has discharged its payload, it is capable of withstanding some return fire before it disappears over the horizon.

A standard bandit tactic is for the vehicle to position itself ahead of a target and dawdle at 10 mph below the target's speed (a canny rider may paint on scuffs, hang off oddments of armour and burn oil soaked rags to simulate damage). Seemingly fairly inoffensive any comms will be cordial and the target permitted to overtake.

At very short range, the bike will drift in front of the target feigning a control loss. At this point it will discharge its weapon suite and accelerate away out of range of retaliation. Sometimes one rocket in the six-shooter will be replaced by a smoke rocket to impede any retaliation. The hope is that the unlucky target will be struck by several rockets and be unable to avoid the flame clouds and oil.

Unlikely to be decisive for other than very poorly protected vehicles, this may be a softening up for a later attack by other vehciles, or merely a punitive or economic attack (even if the vehicle survives it is liable to require extensive repair to armour and this will cost a convoy time and money).

I am assuming here that it is permissible to put dischargers on the windshell. If you do not allow that, just reduce cost appropriately and add the weight allowance to the cargo.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:39 AM   #332
Racer

One thing that might need tweaking is 10pt CWGs ? Few people target Cycle Tires ~ at -6 to Hit ~ and even light (2pt?) Guards seem to stop people even viewing it as an option . I normally stick to 2-4pt CWG max , unless for a specific role .
Will never forget that Heavy Cycle in an older ADQ with 10 point Cycle Wheel guards ... and F10 , B6 points or Armour ... no Component Armour either .

Every 3 points on CWGs mean 1 less point of Armour on your Heavy Cycle's Body - which is where more pragmatic Players will be placing their shots . Okay you may get the odd front or rear shots accidental hitting an Cycle's Tire , but as this is only a 1-in-7 Chance , it's not a significant consideration in most Combats ?

On a gaming side of things , our groups generally consider Tireshooting unsportsmanlike - unless vehicles are very mismatched : Cycle shooting a Pickup's Tires or a Sedan targeting those on a Bus etc .

British born but now Canadian resident The Gnome , got exasperated by this ..
" What is it with American CWars (sic) players always trying to pull off near impossible or TOTALLY impossible tyre shots , when presented a viable rear shot at 7 to Hit ??? "

In the Arena it's not unknown for Cars to have Plasticore Tires plus Metal Hubs AND Guards & only 1/25pts of Composite Armour on targetable Armour facings ! Just to catch out a militant Tire Shooting player ... and laughing at him afterwards !
X-D

Last edited by Racer; 03-28-2019 at 08:53 AM.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:30 AM   #333
swordtart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
One thing that might need tweaking is 10pt CWGs ? Few people target Cycle Tires ~ at -6 to Hit ~ and even light (2pt?) Guards seem to stop people even viewing it as an option . I normally stick to 2-4pt CWG max , unless for a specific role.
Recall that wheel guards also protect against mines which don't suffer the adverse to hit, but in this case since the cycle is designed to be in front, that isn't a credible threat.

I may just be scarred from an occasion where I foolishly took a cycle into an arena fight. I was doing quite well with a pair of AP MMLs (I suspect that most people were saving me until last as I wasn't a credible threat). Then a single shot from a 3d weapon that would have bounced off my heavy front armour inadvertently hit my wheel instead, destroying it and dumping my rider onto the tarmac with his bike landing on top of him. Veeeeeery messy ;(
Old 03-28-2019, 11:44 AM   #334
juris

Cycles have enough problems leave them alone :)

Cycle WGs are a lifesaver - a destroyed tire is a one-shot kill on any cycle.

I never thought WGs were effective against mines that seems incorrect - mines should be like spike damage IMO. Can't say Sword's interpretation is against the rules though. Makes WGs a LOT more useful.

Good gunners can hit cycle tires easily. Take a VMG, +1 SWC, gunner +3 (not unusual) - that's a base to hit of '2'. Firing at a front cycle tire (-6) - you just need an '8'. That's a one shot kill and well worth it. Almost no cycle has solid tires (they used to be against the rules as I recall then there was a 'stealth change' where this rule was dropped without comment).

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
Recall that wheel guards also protect against mines which don't suffer the adverse to hit, but in this case since the cycle is designed to be in front, that isn't a credible threat.

I may just be scarred from an occasion where I foolishly took a cycle into an arena fight. I was doing quite well with a pair of AP MMLs (I suspect that most people were saving me until last as I wasn't a credible threat). Then a single shot from a 3d weapon that would have bounced off my heavy front armour inadvertently hit my wheel instead, destroying it and dumping my rider onto the tarmac with his bike landing on top of him. Veeeeeery messy ;(
juris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 12:17 PM   #335
Racer

Wheelguards DO NOT protect against exploding Mines . How would they be able to protect from those going off directly underneath a Vehicle for example ?? I'll look up original Uncle Albert's description when I get home .

As stated we consider Tire Shots ungentlemanly unless as act of desperation .
Also groups of cycles either hang back at 16"+ range or close to 6" & spread their firing over several phases to build up Hazard penalties . Good luck shooting a Cycle - let alone a Cycle Tire - when your under -5 Weapons Fire Hazard . There were two long articles on this in ADQ , plus scenario Tips from later issues .
Old 03-28-2019, 02:56 PM   #336
swordtart

I have checked my source and I was wrong ;(

ADQ&A 9-4 states that hubs and guards do not protect tires of cars triggering mines.

It doesn't however say they won't protect the tires of other vehicles that just happen to be within 1" of any edge of the counter.

They will of course protect against grenade burst effect, point defence grenades, flame clouds etc.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:19 PM   #337
swordtart

Something for the gangstas

Gunship by Swordtart:
Mid-Sized; Extra Heavy chassis; Heavy suspension;
200 cid Engine w/Tubes, BP, VP Turbo;
6 gal. Duelling tank;
4 Solid Radial tires, HD Shocks, HD Brakes;
Driver. 3 x passengers;
Convertible Hardtop;
280 pts. Plastic (F: 60 R: 60 L: 60 B: 60 T: 20 U: 20);
2x10 pt. Plastic Hubs F; 2x10 pt. Plastic Guards B.
Cargo 154lb, no space.
Cost: $27,845, Wgt: 5,756, HC: 4, Top Speed: 90, Accel: 15.

Probably originally envisaged as an unarmed transport for relatively safe (and heavily regulated) areas, the "Gunship" is oddly named. Only in its subverted role does it become apparent. With enough spare capacity for extremely heavily armed passengers who all have 360 degree firing arcs from the convertible top, it is a gangstas dream.

Buttoned up they are all but immune to the heaviest personal weaponry and can withstand some heavy vehicular artillery. With top of its class acceleration and impressive handling it can generally get out of trouble quicker than it got into it.

In one famously televised attack an aftermarket pintle with flame cloud gas streamer was used to incinerate a rival gang, but for every day rukus a simple double B with AP ammo will put a serious crimp on your day.

Sometimes you just want to drive round and shoot up your neighbourhood. Word!
Old 03-28-2019, 04:43 PM   #338
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Wheelguards DO NOT protect against exploding Mines . How would they be able to protect from those going off directly underneath a Vehicle for example ?? .
Because the mines/spikes/oil/etc. are covering an area over 7' across -- when it detonates, most of it *isn't* "directly underneath"; this is why one rolls to see if the WG took the hit (5 or 6, the attacker Got Lucky -- the DF shot hit the exposed bit of tire, or the mine/explosive-spike/etc. was directly under the tire).

As to "improbable tire shots": Most tire shots I ever saw were taken at PB range; that, plus 4-6 d6 damage, and one wonders where complaints concerning "the six-second duel-of-tires" come from? :)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 05:44 PM   #339
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
I have checked my source and I was wrong ;(

ADQ&A 9-4 states that hubs and guards do not protect tires of cars triggering mines.
Yes I thought that was the issue where it was confirmed . Even as far back as 35 years ago we never played as Guards would protect from Mines :
Tires run over Mines , Mines go off , part of Tire that actually hit Mines never had that Guard - which is up on side of vehicle - in the way of blast in first place .
It's a bit like the time in way back , when that fool 'Walsh Rarebit' tried to claim his Grasshopper's were protected by Hubs & Guards ... Even when targeted from underneath whilst it was flying ... ....

Impossible shots are any where you require a 12 or greater to hit - they're shooting to at it to try for a sustained fire bonus to hopefully 'get lucky with a 11 or 12' in couple of turns ...

I agree point blank Tire Shots are preferable by anyone , BUT on the Road they're a rarity outside ambushes ; Ranges tend to be medium to long .

In Arena it is of course a different story , with wide opens areas & vehicles charging at one another from all directions .
Old 03-28-2019, 11:38 PM   #340
swordtart

Hmmmm, not sure that I am in total agreement with you regarding direct tire shots from below.

I also note that the description of Wheel Hubs explicitly states that WG stops damage from all sides. The rules to be fair don't tend to consider attacks to top and bottom very well (e.g how to apply targetting modifiers due to size for example) and this may be simple oversight.

If you target a tire you take -3. If that wheel has a guard it only covers 2/3 of it so you roll to see if the tire intervenes. If you argue that the WG doesn't protect from below then you are saying that you are targeting the unprotected portion.

I would impose an additional penalty to hit for that smaller target area (say an additional -2, i.e. -5 in total.)

Last edited by swordtart; 03-28-2019 at 11:47 PM.