Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-30-2018, 06:06 AM   #1
guymc

Default TFT on Virtual Tabletops

Over in another thread, ColinK brought up this topic:

Quote:
Have any of you played MELEE or WIZARD over an online tabletop?

My brother in Spokane and I in Fall City have tried one, hoping to start up a DEATH TEST or similarly structured MicroQuest.

The system we used already has MELEE and WIZARD setup. I was able to add counters, maps, etc. Kind of made the game into work, but we could see where more familiarity would make the experience better.
I'm very enamored of the idea of playing boardgames and RPGs on a "virtual tabletop" from my iPad or computer. I've backed a number of Kickstarters for this, but I've never really been able to make it work for me.

Hav any of you done this with Melee/Wizard at all? If so, I'd like to know about the systems you used and their features/availability. For my own purposes, something on iOS platform would be ideal, but I'm up for discusson here of anything that works for you.

Do you use these simply to replace map and counters for face to face gaming or are there systems that can be set up to track the status of characters, roll dice, allow in-game communication, handle multi-player plus gamemaster interaction online, support multiple mapboards and counter sets provded by the gamemaster, handle hidden movement, support sound, etc?

Links, please, to anything here you've found useful. Share what you know and maybe we can find a platform that will let us pool resources to create support for a virtual Melee/Wizard/TFT experience.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:21 AM   #2
zot

Default Re: TFT on Virtual Tabletops

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymc View Post
Over in another thread, ColinK brought up this topic:

I'm very enamored of the idea of playing boardgames and RPGs on a "virtual tabletop" from my iPad or computer. I've backed a number of Kickstarters for this, but I've never really been able to make it work for me.

Hav any of you done this with Melee/Wizard at all? If so, I'd like to know about the systems you used and their features/availability. For my own purposes, something on iOS platform would be ideal, but I'm up for discusson here of anything that works for you.

Do you use these simply to replace map and counters for face to face gaming or are there systems that can be set up to track the status of characters, roll dice, allow in-game communication, handle multi-player plus gamemaster interaction online, support multiple mapboards and counter sets provded by the gamemaster, handle hidden movement, support sound, etc?

Links, please, to anything here you've found useful. Share what you know and maybe we can find a platform that will let us pool resources to create support for a virtual Melee/Wizard/TFT experience.
Yes, I replied about this in that thread. Here's the thread I started about the doc I made and have been using for collaborative gaming.

Maybe I haven't been clear enough. This allows collaborative, interactive gaming for free. Please look at it.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:22 AM   #3
heruca

Battlegrounds does everything you mention except that it doesn't run on iOS. It lends itself very well to playing GURPS, and TFT wouldn't be very different. Adding a hex overlay with megahexes should be simple enough.

Battlegrounds: RPG Edition is virtual tabletop software that allows you to play any RPG online or offline. It's very easy to use and feature-rich.
heruca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:51 PM   #4
Groknard

Quote:
Originally Posted by heruca View Post
Battlegrounds does everything you mention except that it doesn't run on iOS. It lends itself very well to playing GURPS, and TFT wouldn't be very different. Adding a hex overlay with megahexes should be simple enough.
I'm SO glad Battlegrounds is still alive and kicking! I remember looking at it years ago when I was more active in RPGs and online in general, thinking it would be the obvious choice for TFT at the time. I wonder if I combined this on my MacBookAir with the Duet Display app for the iPad if I would get something like the experience Guy was mentioning, on the iPad.

Definitely time to check this out again.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:53 PM   #5
JoeHartley

I've done quite a bit of gaming in virtual tabletop environments. I did a lot of conversions for TFT stuff for the CyberBoard program, which hasn't been updated since 2010.

I've done a number of the Dark City Games adventures in VASSAL and may do so for some of the new TFT material when it's released. It depends on the status of VASSAL's development, which seems stagnant. I'd love to find a cross-platform open source system that's in current development but haven't dug too deeply.

I prefer playing programmed adventures using a VT as it's as portable as my laptop and there's no chance that I'll
  • spill anything on the board and pieces
  • lose something when traveling
  • forget where I am in the game

:)
JoeHartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 01:24 PM   #6
luguvalium

I tried using Roll20.net but it took me a very long time to find out how to change the map from squares to hexes. Has anyone else tried using it?
luguvalium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 01:30 PM   #7
heruca

Luguvalium, see this thread: https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/21/hex-grid

Battlegrounds: RPG Edition is virtual tabletop software that allows you to play any RPG online or offline. It's very easy to use and feature-rich.
heruca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:03 PM   #8
robertsconley

Quote:
Originally Posted by luguvalium View Post
I tried using Roll20.net but it took me a very long time to find out how to change the map from squares to hexes. Has anyone else tried using it?
I don't both with either grid. I use a background that has the kind of grid I want to use. With the variety of tokens I have I prefer to be able to size everything myself.

I will take the time to setup the scale so I can use the ruler.
robertsconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:05 PM   #9
robertsconley

Anybody have a suggestion which TFT character sheet to use as reference for creating one on Roll20?
robertsconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:01 PM   #10
KevinJ

I tried Roll20 and the video takes up more of the screen that it really necessary. And it has really poor versatility compared to old systems like OpenRPG. I would rather use Google Hangouts for straight video than Roll20.