Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-29-2019, 10:42 AM   #11
Shoug

Default Re: Illusion Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaulB View Post
ITL Legacy page 138
Since illusions are in part fed by the observers, an illusion will always act as the "average" type of the thing it is. An Illusion of a fighter will fight as a standard beginning fighter, with ST, DX, and IQ adding to 32. A wizard cannot create an illusion of a highly-experienced fighter unless it appears to be some powerful fighter known to the enemy.
I could see summoning a famous hero as a good way of creating a high powered illusion. I would simply say that only IQ 12 or greater figures would be capable of recognizing the visual cues that indicate that it is indeed the famous hero. Or, the fact that it is a celebrity gives everybody enough doubt to attempt to Disbelieve.
Shoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 02:03 PM   #12
Skarg

I'm imagining a military unit with soldiers indoctrinated to believe that all legendary heroes are actually incompetent fighters with reputations inflated by bards and foolish rumors... so that if a foe conjures illusions of them, they get fought as lame opponents. ;-)
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:10 AM   #13
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
I think Summon I, Summon II, Summon III, etc. spells would be better where each beast is in one of the categories so that you can choose which one within that category you summon. That way, you could also do an image/illusion of those without metagaming "Those can't be summoned therefore they are an image/illusion."
There was an article published on this same sort of variant, by Metagaming's Ron Hopkins in their house magazine Interplay (no.5). It listed eight levels of summoning spells IQ 8 through IQ 20.

(Personally I kind of like the limited spells because of the limits, which I think help summoning (and image and illusion) spells from otherwise being even more versatile and powerful than they already are.)
Old 07-03-2019, 01:54 AM   #14
Tywyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
There was an article published on this same sort of variant, by Metagaming's Ron Hopkins in their house magazine Interplay (no.5). It listed eight levels of summoning spells IQ 8 through IQ 20.

(Personally I kind of like the limited spells because of the limits, which I think help summoning (and image and illusion) spells from otherwise being even more versatile and powerful than they already are.)
Personally I'm torn between these. On the one hand, I agree that limits prohibit summons and therefore illusions from getting out of hand. But on the other, having everyone cast summon wolf gets a bit old.
Tywyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:47 AM   #15
Skarg

A compromise is to reason that people may have researched other individual summoning spells, but that they each have to be found/researched and learned individually. So some people might have Summon Slime instead of Summon Wolf, etc.

If there are enough summon spells in common circulation, though, it can start to make it less clear what's an illusion, and illusions tend to be cheap and cost per hex, so the more summons variety there is by whatever means, the more effective illusions start to be (or the more counters to illusions are needed, either from more people choosing to disbelieve more things more often, or from other house rules that might tweak down the effectiveness of illusions).