Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-25-2015, 05:53 PM   #391
Kalzazz

Default Re: [RPM] Post your rituals here

Well, it sounded like a neat idea. I guess not so much
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:40 PM   #392
oneofmanynameless

A strengthen body effect could make it viable...
although create matter would just be straight up more canon.
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:18 PM   #393
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofmanynameless View Post
A strengthen body effect could make it viable...
although create matter would just be straight up more canon.
This is how you'd do it.

Now a ritual to rip the bones from a living enemy and assault another enemy? That I could see working...
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:31 PM   #394
Angle

Note, This is magic, so you can just use a transorm matter effect and it should work fine.
Angle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:42 AM   #395
oneofmanynameless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angle View Post
Note, This is magic, so you can just use a transorm matter effect and it should work fine.
I think you'd need a transform body + transform matter if you're turning stuff in the body that isn't iron into iron. Even if it's just blood...
Old 05-26-2015, 12:42 PM   #396
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofmanynameless View Post
I think you'd need a transform body + transform matter if you're turning stuff in the body that isn't iron into iron. Even if it's just blood...
This is one of those finicky bits. I think by RAW RPM, blood that's in the body requires Path of Body to affect, while blood that's been shed requires Path of Matter to affect. Shed blood is functionally "dead" for purposes of Path effects, and dead things - like food - are typically the realm of Path of Matter. So, if you want to turn some of your foe's blood into an iron sword within their body, that would be Transform Body + Transform Matter, while making a sword out of the blood they (or you) have lost would simply be Transform Matter.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:44 PM   #397
Dalillama

Blade of Blood and Bone:
Spell Effects: Greater Transform Body (8) + Lesser Transform Matter (8)+ Lesser Strengthen Matter(3).
Inherent Modifiers: Damage, External Impaling
Greater Effects: 1 (x3).

The user of this spell can reach into a foe's chest and withdraw a sword or knife made of the victim's bones, reinforced with the iron in his blood. The attack is delivered via any unarmed combat skill, and a successful Armory roll is needed to get a usable blade. If no damage penetrates the target's DR, no weapon is created.

Typical Casting: Greater Transform Body (8) + Lesser Transform Matter (8)+ Lesser Strengthen Matter(3) + Damage, External Impaling 3d+3 (2)+ +Duration, 10 Minutes (1)+ Subject Weight, 3 lbs. (0). 66 energy (22x3).

Last edited by Dalillama; 05-26-2015 at 03:25 PM.
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:58 PM   #398
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
Blade of Blood and Bone:
This needs Duration to be usable beyond initially damaging the foe. 10 minutes for +1 (+3 total) energy should be more than sufficient. It should also use Internal damage, as armor isn't going to get in the way of the weapon forming. Traditionally this would require two Greater Effects (much like Body of Shadow and Petrify) to bridge the gap between two Paths, but I'm personally fine with it only using one, particularly because you augmented it with Lesser Strengthen Matter.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:11 PM   #399
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
This needs Duration to be usable beyond initially damaging the foe. 10 minutes for +1 (+3 total) energy should be more than sufficient. It should also use Internal damage, as armor isn't going to get in the way of the weapon forming. Traditionally this would require two Greater Effects (much like Body of Shadow and Petrify) to bridge the gap between two Paths, but I'm personally fine with it only using one, particularly because you augmented it with Lesser Strengthen Matter.
I went with external damage because I envisioned it as literally punching your hand into someone's chest and pulling it out with a sword in it. I chose lesser Transform matter because it's not changing the nature of what you pull out; it's still bone, just magically hardened bone (hence the Strengthen Matter part).
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:19 PM   #400
oneofmanynameless

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Now a ritual to rip the bones from a living enemy and assault another enemy? That I could see working...
I gave it a shot. I might have overthought it. Some of the modifiers I just totally eyeballed because I wasn't sure if there were appropriate modifiers for that out there (i.e. the "uses joint and spine rules" modifier on the crushing attack.) Any input or advice is welcome.

Bone Barrage
Spell Effects: Lesser Destroy Body (for crushing a bone) + Greater Control Body (for firing the bone shards at another person)
Inherent Modifiers:
- Internal Crushing (No Knockback -10%, Uses Joint rules for crippling limbs and spine rules for torso shots +100%)
- Internal Huge Piercing (.5 armor divisor [accessibility, only for penetrating out of the target!, -60%] -12%)
- External Impaling (.5 Armor Divisor -30%, RoF 1*X [with accessibility: limited to the crushing damage dealt or huge piercing damage that penetrates the first targets armor, whichever is lower -30%] where X must be equal to maximum possible crushing damage, Overhead +30%.)
Greater Effects: 1 (x3)

This spell crushes bones within the targets body and then fires them at another nearby target. If the first target fails to resist, roll crushing damage, ignoring DR. The spell cripples limbs as though it targeted a joint, and damage to the torso uses the special rules for targeting the spine! Then, if the first attack succeeds and deals damage, roll a huge piercing attack with the same number of dice. This second attack originates from within the target, but check to see if it over-penetrates!

Once that's been done, roll an impaling attack against the second target with a RoF equal to the lower of the crushing damage dealt or the over-penetrating piercing damage. This attack has a .5 armor divisor.

Typical Casting: Lesser Destroy Body [5] + Greater Control Body [5] + 2d Internal, no knockback, Crushing Damage that uses joint and spine rules [22] + 2d Internal Huge Piercing, with .5 armor divisor [8] + 6d External RoF 12 (limited to crushing damage dealt or hp penetrating damage) AD .5 Overhead Impaling Attack [22] = 62x3 = 186 energy.

Tags
ghostly movement, magic, ritual path magic, rpm, thaumatology