Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-15-2020, 10:27 AM   #11
Skarg

Default Re: Some Newbie Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lord View Post
The rule on pg. 111 of ITL reads ". . .during its movement phase. . " not "the" movement phase (i.e. not at the end of all movement).

My understanding would be that if you lost initiative and were forced to move first then you are out of luck if someone manages to get behind you, whether you stood still during your move or not.
Literally true, but if it really means that, then can you think of any way this rule would have any meaning, application, or reason to be mentioned here? Wouldn't it just be describing turning to face as the figure's normal movement? Seems to me that is already mentioned in passing in the previous sentence as "(or simply changes facing)", no?
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 11:42 AM   #12
Jeff Lord

I think it is indeed simply reinforcing the previously written line, "A figure who stands still (or simply changes facing). . ."

The "rule" pertains to the +2 DX adjustment (in my view), not a magical ability to change facing after your movement phase had ended.

So yes, I do think that it is just a case of "describing turning to face as the figure's normal movement" and could be counted as redundant.

Why? No author or editor is perfect and sometimes things that don't "have any meaning, application, or reason to be mentioned" get by.

As with some other instances, it might really be beneficial to have Steve (or anyone in an "official" capacity) clear this up.
Jeff Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 07:36 AM   #13
Aman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
In addition to the rule from ITL others mentioned about standing still to be able to change facing after your opponents' movement...

In general when you move first, you want to think about where your foes could move, and try to deny them good moves like that, but it can be tricky if you don't know their MA. If you stood another hex or two further away, or near an obstacle of ally, they may not be able to get behind you.

Another option is to move up to them and face them directly, so they're engaged and can only shift one, which will still be a Front hex.

Yes, there used to be exactly that rule in original Melee, and as recently discussed in another thread here, many of us still prefer to use that roll. I.e. when someone is forced to retreat but can't, roll 3 dice versus adjusted DX or fall down.
Thanks. I like this as it provides a downside to turtling up next to a wall.
Aman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 11:38 AM   #14
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aman View Post
Thanks. I like this as it provides a downside to turtling up next to a wall.
Exactly. And if there's a pit adjacent, you can add a chance of them falling in, making pits meaningful...
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 06:53 PM   #15
Aman

Should be noted that another downside to turtling up against a wall is that you can be forced into Hand to Hand against your will.
Aman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engaged, melee, rule questions