Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 12-03-2019, 06:06 AM   #1
Axly Suregrip

Default "Bonus to Defend"

The Fencer and Weapon Expertise talents have a "Bonus to Defend" that is a -1 DX to melee attacks normally. If also defending, then attackers must roll an extra die. My question is: when defending does the -1 DX still apply (so both) or is it replaced with the extra die?
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:32 AM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: "Bonus to Defend"

Yes, you get both bonuses.

So Expert fencer with Rapier and Main Gauche who does a double parry is attacked with one handed melee weapons at 6/(DX-2) and subtracts five hits from each attack. I.e. any attacker with DX before these adjustments of 16 or less has a 6.08% chance to hit.

My suggestion is to apply the occult zap which is a special spell and not a melee attack.

My suggestion is that double and triple damage results against a six dice defense ought to be very rare, but the exact result is unknown.

https://www.hcobb.com/tft/TFT_Saving...rcentages.html
Old 12-03-2019, 04:33 PM   #3
Axly Suregrip

Hi hcobb,
Sorry I must not have written my question correctly. Let me ask again.

When you DEFEND, you get to add an extra die to the attacker's roll. That is, he rolls 5 dice instead of the normal 4 dice. The question is, do you still get the -1 to the attacker's DX?

The way the "Bonus to Defend" is written it almost sounds like you get the -1 DX when not defending, and it gets upgraded to a whole extra die when defending. But it is not explicit either way.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:40 PM   #4
Anthony

Where does the name Axly Suregrip come from? It looks familiar from ancient Leading Edge Games products, but they might have borrowed from somewhere else.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:42 PM   #5
larsdangly

The wording is ambiguous but I do what hobb suggests and add them. It is a little like the fact that you get to keep your shield bonus to protection whether you are attacking or defending, or even doing a shield rush (in fact, as far as I know or anyone here has argued, you get to keep your main gauche protection rating even when you attack with the main gauche). If you use that as your model, you would say the -1 to-hit is just something you always receive when a weapon is in your hand and a melee attack comes in through your front hexes. But this is a new rule - there were no such modifiers in the older version of the game. So, there is no established case law we can consult.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:07 PM   #6
Axly Suregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Where does the name Axly Suregrip come from? It looks familiar from ancient Leading Edge Games products, but they might have borrowed from somewhere else.
Wow, I never thought I'd run into anyone else that knew Leading Edge Games. Yes I am ripping them off. "Sword's Path - Glory" I think was the game. Very funny quotes in the margins.

You must be from So Cal, since I doubt their distribution got wider than that.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:48 PM   #7
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axly Suregrip View Post
You must be from So Cal, since I doubt their distribution got wider than that.
SF bay area. I actually have a copy of Sword's Path Glory.