Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 11-12-2014, 07:03 AM   #11
alexondria

Default Re: RPG plot help: What does the statue reveal?

Maybe he didn't treat the workers well so if you can follow the clues it leads to some secret structure that they built for him.

Maybe it's a recruitment test that the overlord set up. If you follow the clues you get invited into special group X.

If the goddesses are real (or there are people in the tether that are more technologically advanced) it could lead to them.
alexondria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:09 AM   #12
Hans Rancke-Madsen

What the statue reveals depends on the motives of the man who erected it. What knowledge did he want to conceal and why did he chose such a method to reveal it?

And that's something I find it difficult to come up with something plausible for. I'm thinking in terms of religious or philosophical motives, but I'm not getting anything useful.

Or the motive could be sheer whimsy, in which case the reveal could be the location of the builder's favorite burget joint (Now long gone).

Hans
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:13 AM   #13
The Colonel

"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings ... look on my works you mighty and despair"

... or, failing that, some inscription that hints at the true nature of the space elevator: possibly because the person depicted was involved in its creation or (if the statues are from a post-collapse era) successfully used or visited it or made a treaty with those still living on it.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 01:41 PM   #14
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolemnGolem View Post
The ruling family worships a trio of goddesses for the virtues of Love, Truth, and Courage. There is a huge carved monument to the three goddesses in the capital's central plaza, showing them in poses of thought and deed. The sunlight on the twice-yearly evenings illuminates the statue from the side.

I'm thinking of having this show some secret of some sort for those who know where to look - maybe with the shadows lighting up something on the mountain range to the east, or on the plaza to the east.

What sort of fun things could this be?
The most likely things are stuff that the ruling family would want as little cute mysteries, like maybe it points to nearby carving of the family name on a building or something. It's not very likely (though it is cinematic) that they'd hide clues to something actually useful in plain sight like this.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 11-12-2014 at 03:54 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:51 PM   #15
Hans Rancke-Madsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings ... look on my works you mighty and despair"
But only twice a year.

Hans
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 02:53 AM   #16
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Rancke-Madsen View Post
But only twice a year.

Hans
Great for major festivals. Alternatively, it may have worked more often before all the crap settled into orbit...
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:00 AM   #17
quarkstomper

They had something like that at the Sirius Cybernetics Corp. Complaints Division: Share and Enjoy!
Old 11-13-2014, 10:11 AM   #18
Flyndaran
Untagged

Perhaps the light shining through has some special property. It alone can cure/cleanse/destroy something. Or it can make visible writing on some separate holy tablets that otherwise appear blank or as some non-writing related objects.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:59 PM   #19
sjard
Stick in the Mud

The Coordinates to a colony that has lost contact long ago. (or if this isn't Earth, the location of Earth)
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:06 PM   #20
SolemnGolem

Actually, I now have an astronomy question for the hivemind.

So, the city is more or less on the Equator, in what used to be Gabon. It's maybe 50 miles inland from the old capital of Libreville ("Leboa-Revi"), getting close to the foothills of a mountain range.

The "gap" in the orbital debris is about 100 miles offshore to the west (so perhaps 150 miles or so away) as the Space Elevator's Earthside tether is based in Sao Tome and Principe. The sunlight will shine directly only from a low westerly angle, when the sun is about to set (i.e. not when it's directly overhead).

Given the Earth's axial tilt of about 23°, will this throw the alignment off such that the sun will only directly shine from the west, onto the town at the Equator, when it's actually a bit south of the Equator? I.e. this would be not at the actual equinox dates (and thus evenly spread through the year) but closer together towards the Sun's passage over the southern latitudes?

I'm not sure if I'm making much sense. This is what happens when I watch my friend's globe spinning in its magnetic cradle.
SolemnGolem is offline   Reply With Quote