Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-10-2019, 11:54 AM   #11
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Useful Abilities [Powers]

Cantrips: Modular Ability 1 (Cosmic Powers; Mental, Physical, and Social, +150%) [25]

Cantrips is an ability that represents the bewildering area of minor abilities useable to the majority of practitioners. In general, practitioners use it to mimic Perks or to create Signature Gear, though they can also use it to give them a basic understanding of a skill. While it is rarely the primary ability of an individual, it is often taken as an alternate ability for a secondary ability for 5 CP.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:36 PM   #12
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Cantrips: Modular Ability 1 (Cosmic Powers; Mental, Physical, and Social, +150%) [25]

Cantrips is an ability that represents the bewildering area of minor abilities useable to the majority of practitioners. In general, practitioners use it to mimic Perks or to create Signature Gear, though they can also use it to give them a basic understanding of a skill. While it is rarely the primary ability of an individual, it is often taken as an alternate ability for a secondary ability for 5 CP.
I'm not sure I'd include Social. There's not much you can do with 1 pt of Social advantages, and even fewer that make sense to be transient. That would make it [20], or [4] as an Alternative Ability.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:54 PM   #13
AlexanderHowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
I'm not sure I'd include Social. There's not much you can do with 1 pt of Social advantages, and even fewer that make sense to be transient. That would make it [20], or [4] as an Alternative Ability.
Signature Gear is the primary 1 point social advantage, and there are a number of social perks that would qualify (Base, Citizenship, License, Permit, and Vehicle are all possibilities). For example, a TL8 individual could summon any object worth less than $10,000 as Signature Gear or suddenly have a passport that shows that they are a Canadian citizen. Of course, you could have lesser versions for 20 CP (Physical and Mental or Physical and Social), 15 CP (Mental and Social or Physical), or 10 CP (Mental).
Old 09-10-2019, 05:48 PM   #14
Culture20

Were I GM of a player with modularly generated sig gear, I'd rule that at least it isn't summoned in hand and is more like lost sig gear serendipitously recovered or replaced. Of course that means it might have an owner, but at least it's near at hand. "How convenient that the necromancer's zombie was a former vassal to whom I gave my spyglass. Now let's see what he's doing in his tower window..."
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:58 PM   #15
TGLS

OTOH, I'd probably say no straight out to modular gear. It steps all over Snatcher, and is far too cheap/unlimited (no fatigue cost, no rolls, etc).
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:14 AM   #16
AlexanderHowl

Turn Undead: Burning Attack 1d-2 (Accessibility, Undead Only, -25%; Area Effect, 32 yards, +250%; Cosmic, Ignores DR, +300%; Cosmic, Ignores Defenses, +300%; Emanation, -20%; Symptoms, Dread (16 yards, User), -1/3 HP, +75%; Underwater, +20%) [20]
Old 09-11-2019, 09:36 AM   #17
naloth

Quote:
Signature Gear is the primary 1 point social advantage, and there are a number of social perks that would qualify (Base, Citizenship, License, Permit, and Vehicle are all possibilities). For example, a TL8 individual could summon any object worth less than $10,000 as Signature Gear or suddenly have a passport that shows that they are a Canadian citizen. Of course, you could have lesser versions for 20 CP (Physical and Mental or Physical and Social), 15 CP (Mental and Social or Physical), or 10 CP (Mental).
That doesn't make any sense. Signature Gear is "special" not just random summoned items and the primary benefit of the advantage is that your gear has plot protection.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:08 PM   #18
Anders

The proper Create Power, however, lets you create money from points at the standard rate.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:37 PM   #19
Donny Brook

Quote:

I would not allow you to 'create' Signature Gear in that manner. And I don't allow "social" as a mod on Modular Abilities.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:06 PM   #20
AlexanderHowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
I would not allow you to 'create' Signature Gear in that manner. And I don't allow "social" as a mod on Modular Abilities.
Fair enough, your game, your rules. It is, however, a legal build by RAW.